Instant Pot Cornbread
Baking with the Instant Pot can be a great way to avoid heating the house up when the weather is hot. It was 87 degrees today, so I made this cornbread recipe outside with an extension cord! This recipe uses a box corn bread mix; I'm trying to keep these as easy as possible.
- 1 box of prepackaged cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup half and half (or cream, or whole milk)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed or microwaved for 30 seconds
- Baking spray
1) Beat the egg in a small bowl.
2) Add the boxed mix, melted butter, half and half, honey, and corn. If you don't have boxed mix, use the home-made copycat (ingredient list below)
3) Fold lightly not to smooth but merely to moisten all the ingredients in the batter.
4) Spray a 7-inch spring-form pan with the baking spray.
5) Pour the batter into the pan using a rubber spatula to scrape as much as possible in.
6) Shake and lightly tap the pan to level the batter and prevent a mound from forming in the center.
7) Place your trivet in the bottom of your IP, in the IP's cooking vessel (i.e. the inner pot).
8) Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pot, in with the trivet.
9) Carefully lower the pan onto the trivet. Close the lid of the IP and turn the valve to "Sealing."
10) Manually pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.
11) When cycle is complete, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 10 minutes (i.e. let it cool off and reduce in pressure naturally). Then release any remaining steam using the valve. If you're in a hurry, 6 minutes is probably sufficient.
12) Carefully lift out the spring- form pan. Allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. The top may appear moist; this is part of the point of baking in the Instant Pot -- a more moist result. The moisture will partially evaporate and absorb into the bread as it cools. If you prefer a more toasted surface, use a kitchen torch to toast it (completely optional).
13) Release the spring, slice, and enjoy.
Home-made copycat cornbread mix:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt