SMARTCO's mission is to relate any technology sources to technology clients and their needs to advance enterprise and work force capacity; in working to stimulate growth and development of technology applications in business activity; to optimize commercial applications for productivity and quality of life improvement; and to foster technology understanding and use through linkages between business development, education, research and government sectors.
We prevent as much e-waste as possible from entering into our landfills so that the products can be recycled for the benefit of our schools, non-profit organizations and those without the means to access of a computer system. SMARTCO believes that every student should have quick access to and training in the use of the personal computer. By donating computers to schools, SMARTCO provides students at every grade level - from elementary through high school - with a greater opportunity to gain computer related skills.
Here are a few other reasons why we believe E-recycling is important:
- Did you know that America produces the most E-waste in the world? Approx 9.4 tons of e-waste is thrown out annually by Americans. *
- According to the EPA, only 12.5% of e-waste is actually recycled each year. *
- Per the United Nations, 20 - 50 million metric tons of e-waste are discarded every year around the world!*
- It is estimated that 40% of the heavy metals in american landfills are due to discarded electronics. *
- Old CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) television sets/monitors contain about 4 to 8 pounds of lead (a neurotoxin). If not properly disposed of can leak into our grounds. *
The list goes on and on. So with all these negative facts, can anything good come out of this e-recycling? See for yourself:
- Re-useable computers are cleaned, and re-imaged for use in our schools, non-profit organizations, and those that can not afford Big box store computer systems.
- Other electronics such as Network equipment, Stereos, Printers, DVD/VCR Players are cleaned and/or repaired (if feasible) for use in schools, non-profit or consumer locations.
- Components that can not be easily re-used are stripped down basic component levels (circuit boards, power supplies, cooling fans, cables, etc) for 3rd party recyclers for raw materials re-usage.
- By providing used/refurbished systems to schools and non-profit organizations, those institutions can focus their limited budgets on other supplies needed within their organizations.