This course is highly recommended if you have not mastered basic formatting and operations in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). This foundations course also covers file management, time management skills, digital citizenship, technical reading, and other related skills needed in order to be successful in the more advanced computer courses.
Students are introduced to Microsoft Office 2016 Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; along with operating systems, digital literacy, netiquette/digital citizenship, and other practical applications of computers throughout the semester.
- We will be incorporating GMetrix software, which is a hands-on skills-based training and testing simulation for Microsoft Office.
- GMetrix aligns to both the state and national standards.
- GMetrix helps prepares students who wish to obtain Microsoft Office Specialist certifications, an industry-valued credential, offered within the Advanced Computer Applications course.
Follow the link below for downloading GMetrix and reviewing system specs. You will need MS Office 2016 downloaded on your machine (Not the cloud apps. This is free through the district) and access to the Internet. MS Office GMetrix is not yet Mac compatible but the company is working on it.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Create and format word processing documents for a variety of personal and work applications
- Create spreadsheets, edit cells, input formulas, and create graphs and charts
- Create and format professional presentation using PowerPoint
- Understand basic operating systems and file management techniques
- Develop digital literacy, netiquette and citizenship skills