*** HUGE THANKS TO RED AND HER TEAM FOR PUTTING ALMOST ALL OF THIS INFORMATION TOGETHER***
SETTING UP YOUR DEFENSE
Having a strong base makes this game much easier. If you can hold onto resources or even avoid being attacked in the first place because your base looks too strong, it's easier to upgrade and the likes. There is also the little detail of the game title: War Dragons. A strong base makes it easier for your teammates to defend in war, makes it easier for us to frustrate the crap out of our opponents.
Here is Red's advice on base building. For reference, I will refer to the islands closest to your home base as the "back" and the island that dragons first hit as the "front".
- Your middle long island is where the magic happens - this should be the strength of your base, with your front five being the "dragon dropper". Focus on leveling your front 5 towers on your long Island. Keep these maxed as best as possible!
- Islands should have a minimum of three "high damage" towers per five slots. This includes archers, cannons, lightning towers, trebuchet, ice turrets, fire turrets, dark flak cannons, and fire flak cannons.
- Having a diverse island island is best except for lighting islands (see below). Diverse means elemental and projectile as well as archer vs cannon.
- You should have no more than 3-4 lightning towers on your whole base, and they should be all together (I personally am not a fan of lightening towers they are too squishy)
- DARK FLAK
- Protect your Dark Flak with a storm, mages, and an ice turret! Dark Flaks do best in the front three spots of an island.
- Ballista should not be built. Ever.
- FIRE TURRET
- You don't need more than one or two, yes they do a lot of damage but its SOOO SLOOOW so its DPS (Damage per second) is pretty low.
- RAGE DRAIN
- Rage drain islands are your friend. They are best done on small islands and left at a low level. There should be nothing but mages on a rage drain island. ***Please note you need the orange research done where you steal rage with mage super-shots in order for the island to be truly effective***
- STRONG, NOT LONG
- Small bases with high level towers are best! Below level 250/275 you should not be expanding past your long island in the center at the very longest. Ideally, we want 5-10 towers strong.
- When you are building, focus on five towers to max before you consider leveling any others. Your base will be better if you have this small cluster of high level towers instead of a lot of moderate level towers.
- When doing this with a Dark Flak, those five towers should be: Storm, Dark Flak, Ice Turret, Red Mage, and Blue Mage. Below is a picture of the ideal small island and idea long island start (when using a dark flak), in my opinion.
Dark Flak Focus - Small Island (see image below for an example)
On the small island, a storm place in the corner can reach every other space. This is unique to the small islands. In this set-up, the Red Mage is in the center, making death gaze useless to weaken the defense from the start. The Blue Mage ensures the attacker cannot put up a shield to protect from the incoming damage. The Ice Turret makes the storm (and everything else) harder to take down. Along with a perch, this is a very easily defended small island.
Dark Flak Focus - Long Island (see image below for an example)
On the Long Island, there is a slightly different set-up due to the length of the island, the diversity needed, and the use of the storm. Our focus is to keep the high damage dark flak alive. To do this, we have to make sure it is covered by the red mage, blue mage, storm, and ice. This is the only set-up that allows this to happen while keeping the flak closer to the front.
The red mage is offset but covers the key towers - storm and dark flak. The storm will keep the flak, ice, and red mage alive with the shield. The ice will keep the storm, flak, and blue mage alive just a bit longer. With the blue, this ensures Hauheset will take at least one hit before sanding the blue mage and using time shift, as well as keeping shields down.
Ideally, we would like some projectiles and another blue mage to occupy the back half of the long island to better diversify our base.
*** REMEMBER DON'T OVER LEVEL***
Make sure you are tracking your progress on the Dragon Check-In. If you over level, your dragons will be too weak for your level to be really effective. So, it is important to have a good balance! Follow Red's Check-In! It will help you a TON!