Dementia Diet MOFGA Talk
Christopher Maloney, N.D. naturopathicmaine.com firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dementia Diet: How Not To Lose Your Memories
1. When I was 15, I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. (Kills 700,000 U.S. a year).
- Dr. Herman Weinreb. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3966885
- No follow up for 30 years. I want to make dementia horrible, not terrifying.
2. Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyloid plaques found in 1906. 55 y.o. Patient
- Still the dominant model today. Alois died of pneumonia at 51.
3. Fulminant disease Dale Bredesen End of Alzeheimer’s Great stories. Poor follow up.
- Chronic disease sequelae
3. Does Alzheimer’s Exist? Artifact finding. Now mild/moderate neurocognitive decline.
- Plaque correlation
- Deterioration correlation
- Tau, Abeta42 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14608585
4. Dietary prevention,
- Heart, Brain, Kitchen Sink, Math.
- Major significant marker?
5. Exercise The Caerphilly Effect 30k folks, South Wales 30 year study.
- Yes. B. But. Not smoking, drinking < three drinks, walking 4m a day, eating 3+ servings of vegetables and fruits, and keeping a normal body weight. Out of 2k 111 did 4. ⅖.
- Drugs https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30282371 France says no.
- Increased mortality. Why? Focused on plaque prevention.
- Do we have any treatment? Yes.
7. Use It Or Lose It
- No exercise affects the brain globally.
- Five weeks= two years of benefit.
- Useful at every age.
8. So why does dementia occur?
- Decades of depression and withdrawal.
- Imagine breaking a leg and never using it again.
- The EB White effect.
9. How do we die?
- A year-and-a-half on hospice.
- Imminent death six times Every time in nursing care.
10. How do we live?
- Fight, fight against the dying of the light., computer games/school.
- Hogeway https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/11/the-dutch-village-where-everyone-has-dementia/382195/
Other books by Dr. Maloney
For videos and full links go to: https://sites.google.com/view/maloneybooks/home
For those diagnosed with colon cancer, how to cut in half your risk of recurrence.
My journey through cancer, with gruesome details and my thoughts on faith.
Helping Your NF1 Child: A Parent's Guide To Neurofibromatosis (NF1)
A layperson’s guide to how the genetics affect the mind and some possible treatments.
A discussion of chronic pain and a possible cause.
Twenty herbs, twenty drugs, and why I hate herxing.
A layperson’s guide to the strange world of Lyme medicine.
Why your bowel is a unique rainforest with some gardening tips.
Your Car For Life: Basic Body Maintenance Paperback Ebook (coming in all formats)
Some general tips on keeping your body on the road.
A simple guide for sensitive people who want to be social.
Why some women shouldn’t worry and others should be very concerned.
My thoughts on chronic back pain, emotions, and why we don’t heal.
How can we keep our sight in a world that is experiencing a pandemic of nearsightedness to the point of blindness?
M.D. or N.D., What Should I Be? Ebook (pay what you can)
My thoughts on a career in alternative medicine and why most M.D.s aren’t recommending the field.
I also write fiction, most recently a climate fiction novel called Miner Six.
I also explore fantasy topics like the future of the planet, the nature of magic, and how to deal with getting shipwrecked with pirates who like blood. Most are kid appropriate, but write me for recommendations. Go to ChrisJLMaloney for these.