Treasurer & Auditor
Sample PTA Financial Calendar of Activities
Upon Election / March / April
- President-elect appoints the budget committee to develop the budget based on proposed PTA programs for the upcoming year.
- Treasurer-elect chairs budget committee.
- Board-elect adopts preliminary budget.
May / June
- Present proposed budget for adoption to the current executive board and the membership at the last PTA meeting of the year.
- Association approves and releases any funds required prior to the next association meeting in the fall. This allows the board-elect the ability to cover routine summer expenses as outlined in the bylaws.
August / September
- Re-present budget to association for adoption at its first meeting. Release any funds required prior to the next association meeting.
- Send approved audit and year-end financial report and current year budget to council or district as directed.
- Send the first remittance of per capita dues through PTA channels. Send dues as received and at least monthly thereafter.
- through channels: The route of formal communications through the PTA. Typically from unit to council, council to district PTA, district PTA to California State PTA.
- Prepare tax forms and file as required. Forward copies of tax returns to council or district as directed ( Tax Requirements).
- Send checks for insurance premiums through channels.
- Send checks directly to the council by the appropriate council or district deadline. The premium must be forwarded through PTA channels to be received in the California State PTA office by December 20, or a late fee of $25 will be assessed by the California State PTA.
November / December
- Send per capita dues through channels. Send dues as received and at least monthly thereafter.
- Balance membership totals with council and district membership reports.
- Prepare books and financial records for the midyear audit.
- Submit books and financial records for mid-year audit, as specified in the bylaws.
- Present budget versus actual report to the executive board and association and revise budget if necessary.
- Ensure that Workers’ Compensation form and additional premium, if required, have been forwarded through channels by the appropriate due dates.
- Send Founders Day freewill offering through channels to district PTA, when collected. The event may be held during a month other than February.
- Register for convention.
- Ensure all per capita dues have been forwarded through channels.
- Issue convention checks for authorized expenditures for elected delegates.
- Begin transitioning with newly elected financial officers.
May / June
- Attend workshops for financial officers, when offered.
- Submit books and financial records to outgoing auditor for end-of-term audit, as stipulated in the bylaws (after close of fiscal year).
- Give financial records and materials to the incoming financial officer (except those in audit).
- Obtain new bank account signature cards to assist incoming officers. The treasurer-elect should contact the bank to determine the requirements for changing authorized signers.
- Prepare Annual Financial Report that reflects the fiscal year and term of office, if different. Prepare and file tax returns (end of fiscal year). The fiscal year is listed in the bylaws or on previous tax returns. The recommended fiscal year is July 1 to June 30.
- Ensure all per capita dues have been forwarded through channels so that there are no audit exceptions.
- Other pertinent dates should be added (or adjusted) to the calendar to meet time frames specific to each PTA and fiscal year.
Previous Year Audit
Your PTA's Auditor from the previous school year should have completed or be working on the audit covering Jan 1 to June 30. To be effective and efficient, use this checklist:
Preparing Semi-Annual Audit
The audit report should be adopted by both the Executive Board and the General Assembly before being forwarded to the CUC Auditor. Consider implementing the "Five Minute Monthly Audit" this school year to help make preparing the semi-annual audit report a breeze:
Treasurer Forms & Numbers to Know
There are several items that should be turned in to the CUC Treasurer in Sept-Oct:
- Previous-school-year-end financial report (budget vs. actual for last year)
- New school year adopted budget
- $232 Insurance Premium (*rate for 2018-2019)
- $40 Council Assessment
- 15 Members is minimum number to be in good standing
- $5.60 per member remittance of all memberships
- Every PTA needs to file with the IRS (990), Franchise Tax Board (199) and the Attorney General (RRF-1).
- Returns should be reviewed by your Executive Board before filing and the tax return due dates are November 15.
- Fiduciary Form should be completed whenever you are giving funds to your school (e.g., to pay for a PE teacher, to pay for a Water Refill Station)
May CUC General Association Meeting | 10:00-12:00