The role of a creative leader is not to have all the ideas; it's to create a culture where everyone can have ideas and feel that they're valued.
- Ken Robinson
As an administrator, I will integrate many of the best educational practices with consistent choices to develop outstanding learning frameworks and systems, helping students and staff thrive.
I will utilize my elementary and secondary experience to contribute to the district's long-term goal of being the premier district in North Texas as we serve our students, building their life experiences and learning, while wisely managing our resources and investing in our community.
As an administrator, I will:
Be a match in personality and drive
- exhibit my even temperament with joy and passion for everything I do
- develop and grow myself, the program, and the people involved
- implement best practices (such as UbD)
- support effective programs initiatives and be willing to guide change
Bring a wide range of experience from elementary to secondary
Lead professional development and events as needed:
- developed campus -wide professional development
- developed an SEL tutorial for campus-wide implementation with students
- co-presenter at TASSP in June 2017 and presenter at multiple Parent Education Program meetings
- invested in the community through organizing events such as Healthy Family, Healthy Kids night and serving on Back to School Fair committee
Implement policies to decrease discipline and improve attendance
Develop and coach educators
- team leader and mentor teacher to fellow teachers and mentor coach for student teacher
Build PLCs and consensus and willingness to shift from WHAT to HOW we teach, aligning instruction and curriculum through professional development
- investigate (and use) the best instructional practices and connect this practice to curriculum
- embed powerful professional development in the curriculum development process (teachers have to learn and DO before they can model and guide students)
- put structures in place to allow curriculum developers and leaders to supervise or work closely with building principals
“Team learning is vital because teams, not individuals, are the fundamental learning unit in modern organizations…unless teams can learn, the organization cannot learn.”
- Peter Senge
Utilize my experience with data management in AWARE
Exemplify and apply my strong educational practice
- Teacher of the Year finalist in MS and HS
- invited to train first-year science teachers for LISD in 2016
- PBL practitioner and participant in 2-year grant for Teacher Excellence
Bring a wide-range of skills outside of education that will enhance my abilities
- published children's book illustrator (utilize Adobe Photoshop and other digital art skills, including photography and editing movies)
- owned a successful online stamp crafting business (multi-tasker from budgeting and long-term planning to daily work like website building and blogging)
As educators, we are only as effective as what we know. If we have no working knowledge of what students studied in previous years, how can we build on their learning? If we have no insight into the curriculum in later grades, how can we prepare learners for future classes?
- Heidi Hayes Jacobs
School systems should base their curriculum not on the idea of separate subjects, but on the much more fertile idea of disciplines... which makes possible a fluid and dynamic curriculum that is interdisciplinary.
- Ken Robinson