is a traditional style of Okinawan karate. The founder of Uechi Ryū was Kanbun Uechi (1877–1948), an Okinawan who went to Fuzhou in Fujian Province, China to study martial arts when he was 20 years old. Uechi-ryū means "Style of Uechi" or "School of Uechi".
Kanbun Uechi studied Pangai-noon (half-hard, half-soft) under Shushiwa in the Fujian (a.k.a. Fukien) province of mainland China in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Uechi Ryū emphasizes toughness of body with quick blows and kicks. Some of the more distinctive weapons of Uechi practitioners are the one-knuckle punch (shoken), spearhand (nukite), and the toe kick (shomen geri). On account of this emphasis on simplicity, stability, and a combination of linear and circular movements, proponents claim the style is more practical for self-defense than most other martial arts.
In contrast to the more linear styles of karate based on Okinawan Shuri-te or Tomari-te, Uechi Ryū's connection with Chinese Nanpa Shorin-ken means the former shares a similar foundation with Naha-Te (and thus with Goju-ryu) despite their separate development. Thus, Uechi Ryū is also heavily influenced by the circular motions which belong to the kung fu from Fujian province. Uechi Ryū is principally based on the movements of 3 animals: the Tiger, the Dragon, and the Crane.
Grandmaster Kanbun Uechi.
Kanbun Uechi studied Pangai-noon (half-hard, half-soft) under Shushiwa in the Fujian (a.k.a. Fukien) province of mainland China in the late 19th century and early 20th century. After studying 10 years under Shushiwa, Kanbun Uechi opened his own school in the province of Nanjing. Two years later, Kanbun Uechi returned to Okinawa, determined never to teach again because one of his Chinese students had killed a neighbour with an open-hand technique in a dispute over land irrigation. While he was working as a janitor he was persuaded by a co-worker, Ryuyu Tomoyose, to teach again after having been first convinced to show Tomoyose ways of defending himself against different attacks. When his confidence as a teacher was restored, Uechi, with the help of Ryuyu Tomoyose, moved to Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture, where, in 1925, he established the Institute of Pangainun-ryū (half-hard half-soft) Todi-jutsu, and opened a dojo to the public. Eventually, in 1940, his Okinawan students renamed the system as "Uechi Ryū".