We publish a Newsletter from time to time, with news of ESR activities, articles and discussion on topics of interest.
The May 2020 Newsletter contatins articles on:
- The end of plastic?
- "Bath sponge" breakthrough in hydrogen storage
- Large areas of London, UK to become car-free
- Where Nature Ends
- City mayors pledge no return to Business-as-usual post Covid-19
- Electric vehicle battery advances
The June 2019 Newsletter contains articles on:
- New Zealand greenhouse gas emmissions
- Electric buses
- Electric cars
- Electric highway for trucks in Germany
- Rail freight electrification
- Light Rail
- EU livestock farm subsidies.
The April 2019 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Stop trying to solve traffic and start building great places
- Accelerating Urgent Action in Urgent times
- More environmentally friendly architecture
- These wooden buildings are high rises
- 20 Years since the Landmine Ban Treaty came into force
The February 2019 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Applying technology to stave off climate change
- The inconvenient truth about carbon capture
- The carbon-capture era may finally be starting
- UK carbon capture project begins
- Carbon capture facilities (source from company websites)
- New plant-focussed diet would 'transform' plant's future, say scientists
- A third of Himalayan ice-cap doomed
- Environment in multiple crises - report
The September 2018 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Recycling, Germany
- Hydrogen fuel cells
- Electric scooters and motorbikes, Taiwan
- Biofuels for transport; tracking progress
- Global energy goal progress
- California clean energy law
- CO2 level at Mauna Loa update
- Seal level rise accelerating
- Landmines and Cluster Weapons
The June 2018 Newsletter contains articles on:
- The new food: meet the startups racing to reinvent the meal
- UN data suggests that the world’s population will hit 11 billion by 2100
- Climate change to drive migration from island homes sooner than thought
- New technology could slash carbon emissions from aluminium production
- California’s global warming solutions
- Netherlands to build world's first habitable 3D printed houses
- World's first electrified road for charging vehicles opens in Sweden
- Auckland University of Technology’s comments on the Low-emissions economy draft
report by the New Zealand Productivity Commission
- ESR papers available on-line
The February 2018 Newsletter contains articles on:
- ‘Silver bullet’ to suck CO2 from air and halt climate change ruled out.
- Climeworks Carbon Capture Plants
- Aviation Biofuels & Shipping Emissions
- Electric Vehicles
- New York City’s Fossil Fuel Divestment
- Emissions, Road User Charges and EVs – A Strategy: by ESR Member Cliff Turner
- Extracts from UNFOLD ZERO Newsletter, 25 February 2018
- Comment from the President: What can we do about Auckland’s recycling efforts?
- ESR 15 March AGM Notice. The AGM is to be followed by discussions by Sir Alan
Mark and Rhys Williams on a Carbon Zero Act.
The November 2017 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Trends that could beat global warming
- World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice
- Light rail along Dominion Road, Auckland
- Do we want to get serious about NZ’s CO2 emissions from transport?
- The US will become a net oil exporter within 10 years, says the IEA
- New Zealand climate data
- Wise Response submission to Productivity Commission.
The October 2017 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Sea level rise
- Big Carbon
- NOAA Global CO2 June 2017
- Emission budget and pathways consistent with limiting warming to 1.5 C
- NASA: 2016 Global Temperature Increase 0.99C relative to 1951-1980 Average
- Electric Cars
- Global carbon emissions stood still in 2016
- Solar Power is Fastest Growing Source of New Energy
The July 2017 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Extracts from "We are wasting the beautiful world we have been given"
- Extracts from Clive Hamilton’s “Defiant Earth: The fate of humans in the Anthropocene”
- Plastic Waste
- Extracts from Skating on Thin Ice, Economist 29 April 2017
- Generation Zero Launches Climate Act Initiative - NZ Climate Declaration
- North Island Main Trunk Line de-electrification.
The January 2017 Newsletter contains articles on:
- Comment on moves towards reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- The warming Arctic
- US Energy Production
- Traditional car industry and climate change
- Indian Firm makes carbon capture break-through
- To deal with climate change we need a new financial system
- (Un)Natural disasters: communicating linkages between extreme events and climate change
- This is not normal - Climate researchers take to the streets to protect science
- Nuclear weapons
- UN moves towards a ban on nuclear weapons
The September 2016 Newsletter contains articles on:
- A new type of politics could help prevent climate disaster
- G20 will blow the Paris climate targets - report
- Soaring ocean temperature is 'greatest hidden challenge of our generation'.
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age.
- Letter from UN Assn NZ requesting help on implementation of the goals and targets of UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Meeting Notice for ESR in Auckland on 20 October 2016.
The July 2016 Newsletter contains articles on
- New Zealand's greenhouse gas emissions
- Global warming is already having major impacts
- What would a global increase of 1.5 C be like?
- Can we reduce CO2 emissions and grow the global economy?
- Electric vehicles
- Auckland Climate Change Forum Scoping meeting
- Carbon capture and storage
- Urban sprawl
- ESR Climate Change Papers update
- Engineers Without Borders annual conference.