EMT-BASIC Class (Sept-Dec 2019)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CLASS
- Where? ...
- Jamestown Fire Department, 50 Narragansett Ave
- When? ...
- Starting mid-September 2019 (tbd) ... ending late December (before Christmas) (tbd)
- Classes will be Monday and Wednesday (3ish hours starting at 6:30 PM) and some Saturdays (8 hours)
- Some schedule accommodations can be made
- Who teaches the class?:
- JFD Deputy Chief Howie Tighe (NREMT-AEMTC, RI Licensed Instructor/Coordinator) is lead instructor and coordinator of the class. Other instructors are RI Licensed Instructor/Coordinators as well as experienced NREMT/AEMTC members of the Jamestown Fire Department
- How much does it cost?:
- $1000 ... BUT, if you join the Jamestown Fire Department and take a shift for a year as a RI licensed EMT, then you will be reimbursed for the entire amount. So basically, you could get your EMT license for free by volunteering your time to apply your new skill.
- An overview of the JFD EMS service
- - The JFD EMS division runs 2 Advanced Life Support (ALS) and 1 Basic Life Support (BLS) Rescue
- - The JFD EMS division staffs a "duty crew" to respond to EMS emergencies in Jamestown 24/7/365
- - Each day is divided into 3 shifts (0600-1200; 1200-1800; and 1800-0600)
- - Each "duty crew" consists of 1 driver and 2-3 EMTs (one of which is the Officer In Charge "OIC" of the duty-crew)
- You must be 18 and be a high-school graduate (or GRE) in order to be licensed by the State of RI
- How do I sign up? or what if I have more questions? .... CONTACT
EMS Captain Ron Barber (email@example.com)
Deputy Chief Howie Tighe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
PREPARE TO PASS THE NATIONAL TEST
- There are THREE docs (EMRInstructionGuidelines and EMTInstructionGuidelines and MUCC_Addendum_EMT.pdf) attached to this page that outline the course you've all PASSED. These are good reminders of all the things you should be familiar with. The National Test Questions are derived from this subject matter. These docs were downloaded from www.ems.gov. Go thru these and identify your strong/weak spots.
- Use this link to test yourself (http://www.emt-national-training.com) username/passwd is jfdemt/jfdemt .... practice, practice, practice.
- There are FOUR PRACTICE TESTS attached to this web page ... download them and see how you do ... email Ron for the ANSWER sheets
FILES ATTACHED TO THIS WEB PAGE (AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE)
- FOUR files that contain all the slides from class for Chapters 1 - 41 (EMT-Basic_ch01-41.pdf)
- The RI Mass Casualty Incident Disaster Plan (2005MassCasualtyIncident.pdf)
- Major Incidents Power Point presentation (MajorIncidents.ppt)
- FOUR Practice Tests
- An example letter to request your BCI from the state