In about 1923, thanks to campaigning by Mayor Ada Salter, the gravestones were moved to the edges of the churchyard which was then laid out as a garden. They put a small rose bed around the memorial which used to stand near to the church gates and was undamaged in the 1940 bombing.
The memorial carries 65 names. These have been transcribed HERE. The memorial was never updated to include those who died in the Second World War.
Local History >