Rotherhithe was built between 1837 and 1838 to a design by Sampson Kempthorne and was in typical Victorian neo-Gothic style. The site had been given by the Commercial Dock Company. A parsonage was also built to the North of the church. There is very little evidence of either structure remaining.The original Holy Trinity Church, Church Open Days.
Before the opening of Redriff Road the church was quite isolated at the far end of Rotherhithe Street. In 1900 the then vicar was interviewed for Charles Booth’s survey into life and labour in London and seemed proud to claim that his was the most difficult church to find in all of London.
“A History of the County of Surrey” (1912) describes the original building rather dismissively:- "The church consists of a shallow sanctuary recess and a wide barn-like nave with vestibules and a tower at the west. The nave is lit by large lancet windows and the whole church is meanly designed in 13th-century style. The tower has an embattled parapet."
Holy Trinity School was run as a National School from 1836 on the site adjacent to the church and provided primary education for the poor of the parish. It closed in 1910 when the London County Council opened Redriff School close by. The school building survives and is now used as the Church Hall and as a day nursery.
The building of Holy Trinity Rotherhithe was destroyed in this raid. This made it the first church in Britain to be destroyed by German bombs. Nothing now remains of the original church except for a few grave stones and a memorial from the First World war now used for Remembrance Day services.
The infants school next door was miraculously undamaged and services were held there until 1959 when the present church was completed. More recently a small crucifix picked up in the ruins of the original church has been returned and restored and is now known as the Holy Trinity Cross.
The modern Church building, designed by Thomas Ford in 1957, is a fine example of 1950’s architecture, with a distinctive curved ceiling and a copper clad roof. The interior is light and welcoming with a wonderful acoustic. A mural painted by Hans Feibusch covers the whole of the wall behind the altar.
See Inside the Church.
Local History >