What to Expect
What to Expect
Wondering what you signed up for? Here's what to expect.
Students and parents may wonder...
- Where will the seminar be held? The seminar will take place at Albion College. Putting the following address into a GPS will take you to the parking lot nearest to our dorms, Mitchell Towers: 1001 East Porter Street, Albion, MI 49224. (Access maps and directions.)
- When will the seminar be held? Seminar participants may register any time after 8 a.m. but before 9 am on Friday, June 12. The seminar will begin with Ambassador Orientation at 9:10 am and conclude with Closing Ceremonies. Check out will begin on Sunday, June 14 around 3:45 pm. You must be present for the entire seminar, including overnight.
- Where should I go when I arrive? Both Albion exits from I-94 will take you to Michigan Avenue. Turn into campus onto Hannah Street, then turn left on Porter Street. There will be a parking lot immediately on your left. The front of Mitchell Towers will be to the right of the parking lot. Registration will be in the lounge. A HOBY volunteer will greet you and check you in.
- What kind of program is planned? During your HOBY Leadership Seminar, many dynamic leaders—all volunteers from the fields of business, education, government, and other professions—will address aspects of our changing world and the challenges future leaders will confront. The program will not promote any specific political party, religion, or way of thinking; but is designed to develop critical thinking skills by actively involving participants in discussions and informal debate. During the seminar, you will be asked to undertake community service projects involving at least 100 hours during the year following your seminar, to make a difference in your school, community, place of worship, or other environment where you see a need. The program also includes outstanding speakers, leadership activities, social events, and a special closing ceremony to which families are invited.
- What are the accommodations like? Participants will be assigned to Mitchell Towers with two participants per room in suites and on floors reserved exclusively for the seminar. Blankets, pillows, toiletries and towels will not be provided, so be sure to bring your own. Everyone will receive nutritious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. The first meal to be provided on Friday is lunch, so make sure to eat breakfast before arriving. On the Medical History Records Form, please indicate special dietary considerations and we will do our best to accommodate them.
- What if I need to take medication while I am at the seminar? Please provide information about your medication on the Medical History Records Form and bring the Physician Medication Verification Form with you to the seminar. Read and comply with the Policy for Use of Medication During a HOBY Event.
- If necessary, how may I be contacted during the seminar? Parents, friends, and family members are discouraged from calling students during the seminar due to the disruption caused to panels and activities. The seminar will be chaperoned by qualified adults who will be staying at the facility 24 hours a day.
- Who pays for the seminar? In most cases, your school or parent has paid a registration fee and will provide transportation to and from the seminar. All costs for meals, lodging and training materials have been generously provided by sponsors throughout our state, including businesses, foundations, individuals, and service organizations wishing to support leadership education.
- What should I wear at the seminar? Dress is casual throughout the weekend. Sunday is “dress-up.” You will be provided a HOBY t-shirt and there will be an announcement as to when you will wear the t-shirt during the weekend.
- What about religious services? Services will not be available for students.
- What transportation arrangements have been made? You are responsible for your transportation to and from the seminar.
- What if I am unable to attend the seminar? If circumstances arise that prevent you from attending the entire seminar, including overnight, we would like to give another student the opportunity to attend.