Card Weaving‎ > ‎

Recreations & Variations of Extant Tablet Weaving

2015:
    First is a monochrome version of No. 451 of the Museum of London finds shown in Crowfoot, Pritchard, and Stanilan's Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450 (133). Done in silk thread, same as the original find. The subdued stripes are created through twist-patterning where the Z and S threaded cards create a different effect under the light and therefore is turned continuously. I did it in a single color was because it reminded me of the trim seen in the painting Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo da Vinci. It was going to be trim for my 1480's Florentine Gamurra but I ended up not liking it with the velvet, so instead I think I will turn it into garters.
  

2013:

        This is piece I made based on Anglo-Saxon Belt Weaving Instructions, using three colors of wool. While there is some debate on the exact time period, it is listed as being from the 5th-6th century. The pattern is different from most tablet weaving in that it is the exact same pattern and color on the top as the bottom. This does mean that you get a broken pattern somewhat (as there is not an even set of lines on the top of the band and a broken set on the bottom), though using a smoother yarn and a tighter beat would help to reduce the broken appearance. The extant piece that this was based on was done in linen, but as wool was also very common in period and I had a wider color selection in wool I chose to use wool instead. This uses card idling to create the double pattern, which creates a more narrow finished width, but a thicker final product. I made a belt, 2 yards of trim, and a small piece to add to my samples of tablet weaving.


 
   

This is a piece I made based on one of the finds from the Snartemo II burial site (as documented by Shelagh Lewins and referenced in Collingwood) dated to approximately 500 A.D. Done in wool, same as the original find. This is a skipped hole technique, meaning that only the outside edges are threaded using all 4 holes while the pattern cards have only two hole threaded. This creates a thinner band, uses less wool, and seems like it is easier to manipulate when sewing onto something. You do need to keep your hands on the cards (or a pencil in the holes, as shown in the picture) to keep the cards in the correct position, but I love the effect.