Cinnamon Coffee Cake (adapted from Janis' recipe)
makes 24 servings or 1 9x13 dish
1 (16.5 oz.) package yellow cake mix <-- DO NOT use one with pudding already added in. I exclusively use Duncan Hines Classic Yellow.
2 (3.4 oz.)packages INSTANT vanilla pudding mix
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons espresso (just go to Starbuck's & get a double shot of espresso)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
2) In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to stir together the cake and pudding mixes. Add the eggs, oil, water, espresso, mixing until well blended.
3) In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon.
4) Pour a third of the batter into the baking dish, smoothing it out evenly. Sprinkle a third of the cinnamon mixture evenly over top. Repeat this process two more times, topping with the remaining cinnamon mixture.
5) Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, and then reduce heat to 325 degrees, baking an additional 40-45 minutes. Cake is done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.