Simply Delicious Turkey Chili from Cookhacker
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black
- Frank’s Hot Sauce (to taste)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
(optional, but highly recommended)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium
- Place chopped onion in the pot and cook and
stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, cook for 2 minutes,
- Add the ground turkey and cook for about 3-5
minutes until all the turkey is lightly, but evenly, browned.
- Pour the water into the pot
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and mashed kidney
- Mix in the seasonings…chili powder, paprika,
oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to low and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- If you find that the chili is a little thin
at this point and you’d like it thicker, just mix together one tablespoon
of flour with two tablespoons of cold water until it forms a loose paste and
then stir it into the chili. Allow the chili to cook just a little longer
and it will thicken up nicely.
- Taste to adjust seasonings (now’s the time
to add the hot sauce)
- Sprinkle on some grated cheddar cheese and you’re
ready to go.