2 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled, sliced in 1/4" matchsticks
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Rinse the cut potatoes in cold water, drain, and then soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes (I've done as long as 3 hours in the refrigerator).
- While they soak, mix together cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper in a
small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium size microwave-safe bowl, add the minced garlic to the oil and microwave on high for 45 seconds and then let sit for a few minutes to infuse the oil.
- Drain the potatoes, blot them dry with paper towels and toss them in the heated garlicky olive oil, coating them evenly.
- Cover the bowl containing the potatoes and oil with plastic wrap (poke a few holes in it to let out the steam) and place back in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes, shaking (or stirring) about halfway thru to redistribute the potatoes to help them cook evenly.
- Remove from microwave and pour the excess oil that's collected at the bottom of the bowl onto a baking sheet and spread evenly to coat the sheet (this will help prevent sticking).
- Sprinkle the spicy cornstarch mixture on the potatoes and toss to lightly coat all the pieces
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway through, until they are golden brown and crispy.