About the town of Bidwell
Louisa and John Bendle
John Bendle came west in 1851 and to the Bidwell area soon afterward. In 1855 he returned east, married Louisa and they returned to Bidwell. John purchased the Gluckauf store in 1859 and operated it for several years. He died at eithty-five years of age in 1918.
In the early 1900's a store was established about three-quarters of a mile north of the Suspension Bridge. Since there were no stores remaining in the historic town of Bidwell, this new store location userped the name Bidwell Bar. See the Use of Bidwell Name page to learn of the many locations where the Bidwell name was used.
The links below provied information about specific subjects related to the history of the town of Bidwell.