Search this site

Welcome to Bern Township


Gruber Wagon Works is located at the Berks County Heritage Center on Red Bridge Park in Tulpehocken Creek Park.
It has been a National Historic Landmark since 1977.


2014  Recycling Dates are posted on the
Solid Waste & Recycling Dates Page


Don't forget:
NEW RECYCLING SCHEDULE
STARTS on THURSDAY January 16, 2014


How Much Have We Recycled?


 YearResidential tonsCommercial
tons
 2012 389
 1,630
 2011 363 1,555
 2010 251 1,760
 2009 236 1,064






 


From:
"The BOOK of BERN,
A History of Bern Township,
Berks County, Pennsylvania 1738-1988”

"Bern Township was settled in 1733, mostly by German farmers. It was established in 1738. Originally, it was bounded on the east by the Schuylkill River, on the west by the Tulpehocken Creek, on the south at the confluence of the two rivers, and on the north by the Blue Mountains. 

First, the part of Bern Township on the north side of the Blue Mountains was taken away and made part of Brunswick Township in Schuylkill County leaving the crest of the mountain as the dividing line between the coun­ties. In 1789 the northern part of the township was split off and named Upper Bern.

Then, three other townships were carved out of Bern: Penn Township was formed in 1841 by taking parts of Bern and Upper Bern townships, Centre Township was formed in 1843 out of an eastern sector of the township and Tilden was created in 1887.

Today the Schuylkill River and the Tulpehocken Creek account for two thirds of the Bern Township’s boundary. On the north side, the Borough of Leesport marks the northeast corner of the township and a point southwest of Bern Church marks the southwestern corner."