"The BOOK of BERN,
A History of Bern Township,
Berks County, Pennsylvania 1738-1988”
"Bern Township was settled in 1733, mostly by German farmers. It was established in 1738. Originally, it was bounded on the east by the Schuylkill River, on the west by the Tulpehocken Creek, on the south at the confluence of the two rivers, and on the north by the Blue Mountains.
First, the part of Bern Township on the north side of the Blue Mountains was taken away and made part of Brunswick Township in Schuylkill County leaving the crest of the mountain as the dividing line between the counties. In 1789 the northern part of the township was split off and named Upper Bern.
Then, three other townships were carved out of Bern: Penn Township was formed in 1841 by taking parts of Bern and Upper Bern townships, Centre Township was formed in 1843 out of an eastern sector of the township and Tilden was created in 1887.
Today the Schuylkill River and the Tulpehocken Creek account for two thirds of the Bern Township’s boundary. On the north side, the Borough of Leesport marks the northeast corner of the township and a point southwest of Bern Church marks the southwestern corner."