Naga
Naga
The first Chinese priest to come, evangelize and organize the Filipino-Chinese into a cohesive group which formed the Filipino-Chinese Catholic Association was Fr. Joseph Tung, CM in 1952. There are no records with regard to the initial mission of evangelizing the Chinese in Naga City although there are records that indicate their presence as early as the 19th century. Besides, there were no priests who took care of the evangelization of the Chinese as far as Naga City is concerned. It was only after the political problems that happened in China in 1949 that Chinese priests became actively evangelizing in Naga City. Fr. Joseph Tung taught at the Holy Rosary Seminary. With the growing population of Filipino-Chinese that time, it was in 1954 that Fr. Joseph Tung and the preseident of the Association, Mr. Benjamin Yee Concepcion, Sr. were able to construct a chapel and a place of residence for priests or rectory in order to help the priests in evangelizing and forming the Filipino-Chinese community. The encouragement to pursue the evangelization among the Filipino-Chinese in Naga City in spite of the death of its pioneer and the replacement of a local priest was done by Bishop Juan B. Velasco.
In 1954, through the support of Bishop Juan Velasco, they were able to purchase a place to erect a church that would serve as the center for Filipino-Chinese in Tabaco City. They found it important to have one because there were several Chinese residents in the city during that time. A two-floor building was realized and was completed in 1956 which contained the rectory and the meeting hall at the second floor while the chapel was located at the ground floor. When all projects were done, it was then that Fr. Joseph Tung, CM was assigned in Taiwan by the congregation's council. To carry on the Filipino-Chinese apostolate, Fr. Joseph Kaufmann, SJ, a Hungarian, was appointed as the new chaplain. The community grew in number, with parish organizations including the Filipino-Chinese Catholic organization, and the celebration of the sacraments that geared towards the evangelization of the local and ethnic Chinese of Tabaco City.
The expansion and maintenance of the parish church as well as the evangelization projects of the apostolate was well taken cared of by the community. It was decided that the community would be divided into 3 groups, namely: the Men group, the Women group who took care of the needs and maintenance of the chapel, the visitation of Chinese families, and invitation to the Sunday mass, and the Youth group who took care of the children and taught them catechism classes, and songs.
In 1958, Fr. Joseph Chen and Fr. Joseph Ly were invited to teach Chinese language and other subjects in a local Chinese school though they were not allowed during that time to teach the Catholic faith and do any religious activities. In the following year, Fr. Stanislaus Chin was also appointed to assist in teaching Chinese courses however, they all were not allowed to teach the Catholic faith in the institution. This concern was brought to Fr. Joseph Kaufmann and they decided to erect a new Catholic school. Archbishop Pedro P. Santos, the Archbishop of Nueva Caceres approved the idea. Meanwhile, the idea was also brought to the bishops of China where Fr. Joseph Chen, Fr. Joseph Ly and Fr. Stanislaus Chin belonged, approved and committed themselves to support the project financially. It was in November 1959 that a lot was bought; in February 1960 the construction of the school began and in May 1960, the school year began. There was a Board of Trustees that was created. The priests and the Filipino-Chinese Board of Trustees were considered as co-founders of the newly established St. Joseph Catholic School in Naga City. Also in 1960, Fr. Joseph Kaufmann, SJ was transfered to a new assignment and Fr. Joseph Chen became the new chaplain. He was succeeded by Fr. Joseph Ly when his health deteriorated.