International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme
Pierrefonds Comprehensive High School
- Select clientele (Note: The number of student groups is based on standardized test results.)
- Programme runs from Secondary 1 through Secondary 5.
- Separate IB subject groupings.
- Focus on the "IB Learner Profile" (Knowledgeable, Caring, Risk-taker, Principled, Reflective, Communicator, Inquirer, Balanced, Open-minded, Thinker) through the "Global Contexts" (Identities and relationships; Orientation in time and space; Personal and cultural expression; Scientific and technical innovation; Globalization and sustainability; Fairness and development)
- The programme follows the Québec Education Program (QEP), while offering Spanish, Design and advanced courses.
- Mandatory "Community and Service" at each level.
- Personal Project in year 5 (includes personal mentor and oral defense).
- Ongoing student review and support by teachers and IB coordinator.
- Awarding of prestigious IB Middle Years Programme Certificate at year 5.
~ An IB school since 1993, accredited in 1997 ~
What is so special about the IB Programme?
- IB programmes are recognized around the world and ensure an increased adaptability and mobility for IB students.
- The curriculum and pedagogy of IB programmes focus on International perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language.
- IB World Schools must undergo an exhaustive authorization process in order to offer one or more of the programmes, which includes study of the school's resources and commitment to the IB mission and philosophy.
- IB teachers participate in a wide variety of professional development opportunities to constantly update their knowledge and share their expertise with colleagues around the world.
- The core components of IB programmes encourage students to participate in creative and service-oriented activities, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of reflection on a personal and academic level.
- The IB produces publications for schools to inform and support them as they offer IB courses.