7TH GRADE BAND
WELCOME TO 7TH GRADE BAND
Welcome back to another year of band! We are very excited to work with all the 7th graders and play some great music :-) If you have any questions throughout the year, please don't hesitate to send us an email at email@example.com (brass) or firstname.lastname@example.org (woodwinds & percussion).
7TH GRADE ANNOUNCEMENTS & INFO
- CONCERT - Our first concert will be on November 12th! Please review the following information about this event:
- Students will need to be at Beavercreek High School (2660 Dayton-Xenia Rd) by 6:00 PM.
- The concert will begin at 6:30 PM and should be over by 7:30 PM
- Students are expected to wear their band polo, khaki pants, and dress shoes.
- Students need to bring their instrument, book, and binder. Percussionists need their mallets/sticks, book, and binder.
- This concert will include the 7th and 8th grade bands. Students are expect to stay for the entire event. They may get extra credit for attending the Ankeney concert at 8 PM that same night.
- Concert attendance does factor into your child's grade in band. Unexcused absences lower their grade by 15%.
- PLAYING TESTS - We will have 3 playing tests this quarter:
- Test #1 - Assigned on Oct 28, due on Nov 6 - This test will cover #27 in their book and will be used to determine part assignments for the February concert. Percussionists should play mallets.
- Test #2 - Assigned on Nov 13, due on Nov 22 - This test will cover #163, the concert Eb scale. Percussionists should play the drum part. Clarinets should choose "tenor sax" from the instrument list in order to find the right part.
- Test #3 - Assigned on Dec 2, due on Dec 13 - test material TBA
As a reminder, students are responsible for ensuring their test has been submitted properly. A few tips:
- Before clicking submit, click "save" to download a copy of the take to your Chromebook. This can be used as a back-up.
- When you click submit, it takes several minutes to fully submit the test. Please do not exit the window/close the Chromebook until the confirmation screen appears.
- Check the "Assignments Due" section of their SmartMusic home screen. If the test has been submitted properly, it will no longer appear on that list.
- SUPPLIES - Below is a list of supplies students will need for 7th grade band. You will be able to purchase their band book from us or another vendor. SmartMusic subscriptions and polos will be ordered through us (via Charms).
Students should come to class EVERY DAY with these items. Having their required materials counts towards their daily participation grade.
- Pencil (no pens!)
- Essential Elements 2000, book 2 for their instrument
- Band Binder with sheet music in plastic page protectors
- Maintenance Supplies - this includes valve oil for brass players or cork grease for woodwinds
- At least 3 good reeds - this is for clarinets/saxes/double reeds. Please buy Vandoren (blue box) size 2.5 or 3 for Bb clarinet or Eb alto sax
- An instrument in good working condition. Percussionists should have their drumsticks and mallets
- SmartMusic subscription - We will continue to use SmartMusic for practicing and tests. Like last year, students will have the choice between a basic subscription ($8) or full subscription ($12)
- Lock for band locker - We prefer a combination lock so they don't have to worry about losing the key. If they share a locker with another student, both students must know the combination or have a key.
- Band Polo - required for concerts