The following statements are the agreed AET Equalities Objectives:
- To close the gap between boys and girls in English, Mathematics and Science at all key stages.
- To close the gap in performance of all pupils with special educational needs or disabilities.
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experiences both in and beyond the curriculum.
- To prevent and respond to all hate incidents and prejudice-based bullying.
The Equality Act 2010 has 9 Protected characteristics, which are:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion and belief
- sexual orientation
Under the Act people are not allowed to discriminate, harass or victimise another person because they have any of the protected characteristics.
The Equality Act 2010 includes a new public sector Equality Duty which states that public bodies must have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations between different groups
All members of Staff at Offa’s Mead Academy are currently undertaking training through an e-learning module called Equality and Diversity from Learning Pool.
Visit this website for more information
All behaviour incidents and concerns are regularly reviewed by the SLT. Analysis is carried out to ensure that any patterns in relation to equality and groups of children are addressed. Surveys will be sent to Parents/ Carers and carried out with the children and staff in the near future in relation to the 9 protected characteristics. This will gather evidence so we can achieve our aim for no member of staff and no parent/carer to feel that they have experienced discrimination in relation to the protected characteristics. And that no parent/carer feels that their child had been discriminated against.
We use SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning) as part of our PSHCE at Offa’s Mead Academy. We also use Silver Seal in small groups to address specific issues and concerns. All classes hold regular Circle Times to deal with issues if and when they arise.