What is a School Counselor?
A School Counselor is an educator who:
- advocates for students at school
- provides individual and small group counseling
- works with teachers and parents to provide helpful suggestions and support for children’s needs
- provides Collaborative Classroom Instruction (CCI) for every class
- helps in identifying academic and social/emotional needs of children
- helps children understand themselves and others
- provides information about community resources that would benefit children
- makes referrals to outside agencies
- provides parents with resources and information
What is the Elementary School Counseling Program?
Gretna Schools have a comprehensive, developmentally appropriate program which takes a pro-active approach by teaching children skills in three main areas: Career Education, Personal/Social Skills, and Academic Skills. The school counselor delivers services by Collaborative Classroom Instruction (CCI), small groups and by meeting with individual students. These areas are based on the National Standards from the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).