site: Dinosaur Point
- Description: Dinosaur Point Parking Lot. Dinosaur Point can be excellent for observing between October and March, when the winds thru Pacheco Pass calm down.
- Dark sky rating:
- Website: San Luis Reservoir State Park
- Elevation: 639 ft.
- Weather: Dinosaur Point NOAA
- Owner: Site Liason: Jamie Dillon If you'd like to observe at Dinosaur Point for a time that hasn't been posted, you can ask at dino-gatekeepers oot googlegroups dort com
- Use Policy - Dinosaur Point is behind a locked gate. Access is only on announced nights. A Gatekeeper must make reservation, be present at all times, and escort observers through the gate. Upon arriving at Dino's parking area, currently you arrive at another temporary gate at the bottom of the hill that's set up for the daytime boaters inspection. There, you will be asked by a CA Parks ranger to pay the $10 CA Parks use fee, or show your CA Parks annual pass in order to proceed to the parking area.
- General rules for using Dinosaur Point
- Pay the day-use fee. Please write "Stargazing" in big letters on the envelope we put in the iron ranger, to make sure the money goes to the right place.
- Access to Dinosaur Point after dark is by reservation only. Only Gatekeepers can call the rangers and make reservations.
- Send observing requests and questions to dino-gatekeepers oot googlegroups dort com .
- Do not post OI's for Dinosaur Point until a Gatekeeper has announced it is available, and his arrival and departure times.
- At least one Gatekeeper must always be present.
- Everyone must be escorted out by a Gatekeeper.
- Observers are not allowed to stay overnight.
- Observers must arrive before sunset.
- Locate the Gatekeeper(s) and introduce yourself when you arrive. Confirm your departure time.
- Be prepared to leave on time or wait for the next scheduled escort to the gate. When you are ready to leave, proceed to the SW corner of the parking lot and wait there. At the scheduled time, a Gatekeeper will escort you out.
- Leave the park as you found it. Make sure your area is clean.
- Absolutely no boats allowed in the parking lot after dark.
- No overnight camping.
- Do not call the emergency number posted on the gate unless you are reporting an emergency. The ranger you get out of bed won't arrive for over an hour. Get a Gatekeeper to escort you out.
- If you bring guests, you must ensure that they follow all these rules and procedures.