Kodokan Aikido at Virginia Tech is a center for the study of the art of Aikido located in Blacksburg, Virginia. We practice Aikido as a "harmonious application of energy to conflicts, challenges and relationships." We also maintain strong ties with Japan and Japanese culture. Our dojo is directly affiliated with the Aikikai Foundation through the Kodokan Aikido Dojo in Okazaki, Japan under the direction of Tadamitsu Tanaka shihan. Kodokan Aikido at Virginia Tech has been in the community for over thirty years. You can learn more about our instructors here.
Where We Are
When We Meet
Fall / Spring Semester Schedule:
When: Tuesdays 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. & Thursdays 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
When: Saturday, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.*
When: Tuesday & Thursday, 6 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.
When: Saturday, 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Member payment due the 2nd week of classes
*Be sure to check the Dojo Calendar on this page for confirmed dates, cancellations, and other dojo events.
Students and Local Residents (18 years and older):
- If you are interested in taking Aikido be sure to register or, if registration is closed contact us. At home, please be sure to review what to do for your first visit.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early so you can meet the instructor, and sign the “Assumption of Risk” waiver form.
- The attire for your 1st lesson should be a loose t-shirt and full length workout pants to help protect your from mat burn. Also be prepared to remove all jewelry. No jeans please.
- Bring a water bottle as the dojo can be warm during practice.
- All class dues are collected during the 2nd week of classes, when class open enrollment closes.
Out of Towners: We'd love to have you! Please get in touch.