The Shelford plaque scheme is a small, but select tribute to special villagers. Currently there are three plaques:
FREESTONES CORNER
For anyone who has lived in Shelford for 30 years or more, Freestones Corner is an essential point of reference. If you arrived after that, you probably don’t know where it is. It is the corner of Station Road and London Road, and on that corner stood the well-loved and well-remembered Freestones Bakery. The bakery was started by George Freestone, a Cambridge man, in Woollards Lane. But in 1901 he bought a corner plot, and built the “Corner House” which was both his home and the bakery. When his eldest son Bert married, George retired to the Railway Tavern, for a new life as a publican, leaving Bert and his wife Lily to run the bakery.
In time, their two daughters, Dorothy and Violet came into the business, delivering bread all round Shelford and the surrounding villages. Later Violet and her husband Brian ran the bakery. It closed in 1984.
The Freestones were a very hospitable family. During the Second World War, when the army took over the Recreation Ground, and soldiers were billeted all round the village, the men had nowhere to go for tea. Lily Freestone was determined to make “our boys” welcome, and the bakery and Freestones’ house became a home from home for the soldiers. After leaving Shelford, many of the men kept in touch with the family, grateful for the kindness and warm welcome they’d received. The plaque was unveiled in 2010.
Subsequently the house was converted into offices, Reed House, office accommodation for developer David Reed Homes. In 2015 the building was converted once more into housing.
*************************************************
RON GOOCH
Ron Gooch worked on the railways all his life. He grew up in Suffolk, and started work in 1944, aged 14, as an engine-cleaner. He rapidly worked his way from fireman to driver. First he drove steam locomotives, then, in later days, diesel, followed by electric. He moved with his wife, Jean, to Shelford in 1956. Ron loved the railways: for him they were an interest as well as his work, and he was generous to those who shared his interest. In later days, Ron would often encounter someone who’d stop and say, “You let me ride in the cab when I was a boy”. When Ron retired, he continued to take a lively interest in railway affairs, and he was distressed by the run-down condition of Shelford station. When the opportunity to become a “Station Adopter” volunteer presented itself, he happily spent his time restoring the station to its former glory. Ron was thus constantly to be seen by passers-by as they went up and down Hinton Way, as he swept and cleaned the station, or tended the flowers. He was always happy to exchange a few words with passengers and pedestrians in his rich Suffolk accent, and he made the station a welcoming place.
Sadly Ron died in 2014, but our local railway company, (which was then) Abellio Greater Anglia, commemorated Ron’s work on the station with a plaque in “Great Eastern blue”, entirely appropriate for a man who spent his working life on the railways of East Anglia.
*************************************************
PHILIPPA PEARCE
Philippa Pearce’s grandfather, Alexander, and father, Ernest, were the millers at the mill in King’s Mill Lane. She grew up in the Mill House, a large and handsome house which had been built in 1814. Life there was pleasant. The grounds and the mill were natural play areas for the miller’s children. But this was a dying way of life. Country mills were small and in decline. Beside the station was a vastly bigger steam-powered rolling mill, not subject to the vagaries of the river’s flow. Ernest was to be the last miller. In 1957 the mill and the Mill House were both sold.
Philippa, now an adult, left the village, and worked first for the BBC, then later as a book editor for a publisher. She was also a writer, and wrote a number of children’s stories. Her most famous work for children is “Tom’s Midnight Garden”, which drew heavily on the Mill House and its surroundings for its background. Having married and been widowed, in 1973 she moved back to Shelford with her daughter, living once more in King’s Mill Lane. The plaque can be found on the wall of the cottage she then occupied, no. 2 King’s Mill Lane.
*************************************************