Place names
The AA - the corner of Trumpington Road and Hauxton Road: there was an old milestone and an AA marker there, so it was called The AA.
Personal communication, Una Barton (b. Hauxton)
Ashen Green
1834 Enclosure Commissioners’ Minute Book (laying out of roads)
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule (see Henry Collier)
1842 Granhams Manor court book
Ashing Green
1653 Terrier, G & C, p5 about the midst of the Towne
Back Moor
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
1840 Buristead Manor court book
Bailies
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
1869 Plan of part of Granhams Manor Farm, St John’s College Archive
The Ballast Hole
2004 Interview with Phyllis Green, GSOHG
2005 Interview with Betty Woodhouse, GSOHG
2005 Interview with Will Ellum, GSOHG
c2006 Interview with Townsend brothers, GSOHG (as Shelfordians call it the “ballas’ hole”)
The Ballast Pit
c1912 Sarah Campion, Father, p32, pub. 1948
Between Streets (see Open field names)
The Brook
1789 Buristead Manor court book (appears to be brook running from spring by Granhams)
The Bury Close (spelt Burrey)
1674 Terrier, G & C
Cabbage Moor
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
1838 Buristead Manor court book
1910 Valuation Office Survey
River Cam or Granta
1886 Ordnance Survey Map (labelled on stretch after water bridges)
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Cement Works, West Field
1891 census
1901 census (Cottages at Cement Works, West Field)
Hauxton Cement Works
1911 census
Church End (used to differentiate the church end of High Street from Town End)
1881 census
1891 census
(The) Common (refers to land, tho not houses, on both sides of Cambridge Road)
1886 Polling List
1910 Valuation Office Survey
1913 Polling List
c1912 Fanny Wale (based on map dating from 1833)
Great Shelford Common
1821 Baker’s Map of Cambridgeshire
Clarks Hill (top end of Hinton Way)
1901 census
Clark’s Hill
1913 Polling List
Clarke’s Hill
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
1913 Polling List
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
Clarke’s Hill Plantation (small plantation surrounded by arable between Granhams Rd & Hinton Way)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
Shelford Clunch Pit (between Granhams Rd and HintonWay)
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map
Clunch Pit (on Granhams Road)
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
1886 Ordnance Survey Map (also Old Clunch Pit on same site)
1903 Ordnance Survey Map (no old clunch pit)
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
Clunch Pitt Hill
1751 Terrier of Parsonage Lands by John Aylmer, JCA
Crow Land
1722 UL MS Doc.1072 Lease Alice Rogers “a land antiently called”
1816 Buristead Manor Court Book
Crowland
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
Crowlands
1869 Plan of part of Granhams Manor Farm, St John’s College Archive
Curtis Island site of blacksmiths
1731 Buristead Manor court book (Land belonging to Rd Cock, but at this time another tenant is called Benjamin Curtis)
1767 Buristead Manor court book
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule, no. 120
1845 Buristead Manor court book
The Four Crossings (Crossroads of Station Rd/Woollards Lane/ London Rd/ Tunwells Lane)
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
Freestones Corner (corner of Station Road and London Road)
2006 Interview with Vi Pitteway, GSOHG
2010 Site marked by plaque
Gog Ma Gog Hills
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map (includes all hills on east of parish)
Granhams Corner
1751 (see Beansin Field) Terrier of Parsonage Lands by John Aylmer, JCA
1789 Buristead Manor court book
Granhams Gate
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
Granhams Camp
1821 Baker’s Map of Cambridgeshire
Granams
1761 Terrar of Nuns’ Lands, JCA
Grandams Demesnes
1647 Rental of Edward Ventrys
Grandhams Walke refers to Granhams sheepwalk
1647 Rental of Edward Ventrys
Grannam’s F(arm) (see FARMS)
1808 William Hyett’s map
1819 Draft Ordnance Survey map
Granhams
1657 Terrier, G&C, also Grandhams
Granhams Hedge
1657 Terrier, G&C
Granhams Hedges
1635 Terrier, G&C
River Granta or Cam
1886 Ordnance Survey Map (labelled on stretch after water bridges)
Great Eastern Railway Bridge
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
Great Northern Bridge (bridge over railway from High Green to Cambridge Road, refers to Great Northern Railway co.)
1920s, photographs by Ted Mott, CC.Y. She.K2.8816, Y. She.K2.88167
1969 Recollections of Great Shelford, Great Shelford WI
2015 Mrs V Pitteway
Northern Bridge
2006 Interview with Vi Pitteway, GSOHG
The Green
1674 Terrier, G & C, p15, The Green is differentiated from the Common
1841 census (refers to cottages in a field off Granhams Rd, part of the old High Green, but now differentiated)
c1912 Fanny Wale (based on map dating from 1833)
Green
1871 census
1881 census (refers to E side of High Green as far as Browning House)
1886 Polling List
1901 census (as 1841)
1910 Valuation Office Survey
1913 Polling List
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939 (refers to area behind De Freville Arms, where Feast was held)
Green End
1886 Polling List
Halfway Bush
1821 Baker’s Map of Cambridgeshire
1835 Sales advertisement for land in Great Shelford, HBP 28 Mar 1835
1840 Sales advertisement for land in Great Shelford, CIP 2 May 1840
1889 Samuel Widnall, Reminiscences of Trumpington (pp15-6), says it was a whitethorn (also Dead Woman’s Bush)
Half way tree
1969 Recollections of Great Shelford, Great Shelford WI (also a photo where it looks more like an ash, perhaps replanted?)
1835
Harp-corner
1635 Terrier, G&C
1657 Terrier, G&C
Harpes Corner
1707 Terrier of lands belonging to Granhams Manor
Harts Corner
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule (part of Glebe allotment to Jesus Coll)
1835 GS Enclosure Map (shows part of Homeward meadow)
1868 Bidwells Valuation Book 24, CRO K515/B/56, p349
Hauxton End (that part of Rectory Farm at the Hauxton end)
2002 Agreement, GS 8, JCA
2009 All is Safely Gathered In, GSOHG
Hauxton Gate (the junction of the Hauxton road with the A10)
Personal communication from Una Barton, b. Hauxton
Heath Field
1910 Valuation Office Survey
The Hermitage (on water bridge)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
High Green (refers to the green, not a road name)
1837 Buristead Manor court book (refers to plot of land in front of houses)
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
The Holm
1756 Elstobb’s Particular, JCA (John Faircloth)
The Holme Island
1647 Rental of Edward Ventrys
The Holme
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/15
The Long Holme
1814 UL MS Doc.1659 licence to alienate
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/12
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule no. part 22
First Holme
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule no. 32
Second Holme
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule no. 33
The Holt (small island)
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/88 (lying in Lt Shelford)
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule1835 no. 211
Hoppin
Spoken of by many villagers as the palce they used to go picnicking and swimming on Rectory Farm
Some Shelford Lives, p10, p68. GSOHG Interview with Will Ellum.
See also A Little Book of Names 3, Hopham/Hoppin etc
The Hop Yard (possibly a close)
1657 Terrier, G & C, p1, The Osier Holt & Pond Yard & Hop Yard
The Hunch (piece of the waste lying between Court Lane and Granhams Farm, now the site of 32-38 Granhams Road)
1805 Buristead Manor Court Book
The Hunch (not necessarily a name)
1674 Terrier, G & C, p3
?1712, Schedule of Demesnes leased by Jas Church, G & C
OED: a humped position or thing; dialect, a thick piece, a hunk.
Haunch: the side of an arch between the crown and the pier.
This may, then, refer to its position
Long Close
1674 Terrier, G & C
May Pasture
1835, 1838 Buristead Manor court book
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
Mingle Land
1910 Valuation Office Survey (not wholly accurate, refers to land both south and north of Mingle Lane)
The Moor
1751 (see Ninewell Field) Terrier of Parsonage Lands by John Aylmer, JCA
Moor-End
1754 Buristead Manor court book
Moor End
1799 Mortgage settlement Jardine to Nutter, CRO K71/T/109
1801, 1818 Buristead Manor court book
Shelford Moor
1837 Buristead Manor court book
Nine Wells (seems to be a generic local name for any area of multiple springs: there is a Great Nine Wells and Little Nine Wells in Whittlesford)
1773 Map of Buristead Manor demesne, G & C college, ref. BUR:MAP/02/02.1/01, entry no. 7/8/10
1808 William Hyett’s map
1821 Baker’s Map of Cambridgeshire
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map
1834 Act of Enclosure
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
2016 Universally used, orally & as official designation
Ninewell Field
1910 Valuation Office Survey (refers to land belonging to White Hill Farm etc)
Nuns’ Lands (or Rhadegund) (see Furlongs, balks etc)
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/8
The Old Mills (piece of ground in the meadows of GS, “near the pits of the Old Mills”)
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/83
The Osier Holt
1657 Terrier, G & C, p1, The Osier Holt & Pond Yard & Hop Yard
1674 Terrier, G&C
Overflow Dam (now at end of Rec.)
C1912 Fanny Wale
Perch Hole (deep pool on the river)
C1912 Fanny Wale
Pond Close
1756 Elstobb’s Particular, JCA (John Faircloth)
Pond Yard
1657 Terrier, G & C, p1, The Osier Holt & Pond Yard & Hop Yard
1674 Terrier, G&C
?1712, Schedule of Demesnes leased by Jas Church, G & C, a close called… about 2 acres
(The) Pound (High Street)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
Railway Crossing (level crossing in Granhams Road, with dwelling)
1851 census
1891 census
Station Gate (apparently in Granhams Road)
1871 census
GER Railway Gate House
1881 census
Gate House
1910 Valuation Office Survey
Rawling’s Corner
1841 census
Red Cross
1635 Terrier, G&C
1657 Terrier, G&C
1707 Terrier of lands belonging to Granhams Manor0
1765 used in name of Red Cross Turnpike Trust, created in that year
1808 William Hyett’s map (ordnance survey drawings)
1913 Polling List
C1940 Personal communication in 2016 from lady in domestic service at Mount Blow
Red-Cross
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map
Red Cross Gate (literally a gate)
1841 census HO 107/74/10, f3B
Red Cross Turnpike
1851 census
Red Cross Turnpike Road
1834 Claims for Enclosure UL Doc 652/17
Red Cross Turnpike Cottage
1871 census
Red Cross Toll Bar
1834 Enclosure Commissioners’ Minute Book (laying out of roads)
Roman Camp (not sure this was ever used locally, suspect misidentification by OS)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
Earthworks
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Seven Acre Piece
1801 Buristead Manor Court Book
Seven Acre Close
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule, no. 181
1873 Sales particulars, Maps PSQ.18.250
Shelford Bottom
1910 Nun’s Lands Tenancy Agreement, Jesus College Estates, GS 4.8, JCA
1910 Valuation Office Survey
1911 census
1913 Polling List
1944 National Farm Survey
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
2009 All is Safely Gathered In, GSOHG
Sheep Common
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule
1869 Plan of part of Granhams Manor Farm, St John’s College Archive
Shelford Junction (junction with Haverhill line)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Shepreth Branch Junction (the place where the two railway lines – from Liverpool St and King’s Cross – meet, standard designation by Railways)
2011 Tony Keeble, Ian Creek (universal among railwaymen)
2012 Tony Smith, Shelford & the Railways
Shepreth Junction
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1891 13 November CIP
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
The Junction
1913 Polling List
Shepreth Branch Junction (signal)box
The Slay
1756 Elstobb’s Particular, JCA (John Faircloth)
The Spinney (part of the field on left side of Station Rd between house on corner and the railway, area of springs, swampy & fullof blossoming crab apples)
1969 Great Shelford WI Recollections, refers mostly to 1909-1939
Square Plantation (plantation of trees behind Clunch Pit off Granhams Rd)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Stapleford Field
1761 Terrar of Nuns’ Lands, JCA
Steeple Hill
1751 Terrier of Parsonage Lands by John Aylmer, JCA
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map
Stonehill (cf Stonehill Field, Elstobb’s Particular)
1707 Terrier of lands belonging to Granhams Manor
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule, 4th all. To Jes. Coll.
Stone Hill
1886 Ordnance Survey Map (refers to area beyond current Stonehill allotments)
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Stonehill Hedges
1756 Elstobb’s Particular, JCA
Stone Trough
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule, no. 202
Stone Trough Spring Coppice
1835 GS Encl Award Schedule, no. 20
Thunder Bridge (The small railway bridge over the stream from Nine Wells, originally cast iron, then concrete. Children’s name?)
2012 Tony Smith
The Tongue of the Moor
1751 (see Ninewell Field) Terrier of Parsonage Lands by John Aylmer, JCA
Town of Great Shelford (not village!)
1754 Buristead Manor court book
(Great Shelford) Turnpike Gate (In Church Street)
1841 census
1861 census
Stumps Cross Turnpike1851 census (refers to cottage)
Turnpike Gate House
1861 census
1871 census
Toll Gate
1871 census
Two-penny Loaves (roughly site of Beechwoods)
?1830 First series Ordnance Survey map
Vicar’s Brook
1821 Baker’s Map of Cambridgeshire (labels the part north of Nine Wells)
The Water Bridges (bridges over the Granta joining Gt & Lt Shelford)
1961 Postcard of GS (date on postmark)
2006 Interview with Betty Kennedy, GSOHG
2015 Mrs V Pitteway oral communication
Webster’s Crossing (the occupation crossing (level crossing) which crosses the railway beside the footbridge and was provided for the use of Granhams, or Websters’ farm)
2001 Sign beneath the phone at the crossing (name used by powerbox in Cambridge to identify the crossing)
2013 Network Rail documentation re new footbridge
Websters footbridge
West Field
1886 Polling List
1891 census (refers to site of cement works)
1901 census (Cottages at Cement Works)
1910 Valuation Office Survey (refers to Stonehill allotments, Rectory Farm land etc)
1913 Polling List
White Hill (where Nine Wells House is)
1886 Ordnance Survey Map
1901 census
1903 Ordnance Survey Map
Read next A Little Book of Names 8