Although our actvities have involved many sites across East Renfrewshire, some sites have received significant attention. This has resulted in a number of detail publications including several reports under the auspicies of the Garden History Society of Scotland. Separate pages on these main sites provide access to the various more detailed information.
Caldwell Estate was the family seat of the Mures of Caldwell. The estate is remarkable in that , although overgrown, it is largely unaltered and traces of a mid 18th century formal garden can still be detected.
Caldwell House was built to replace an earlier property that had been constructed around 1715. In 1772, William Mure of Caldwell commissioned the design of a new mansion by the renowned Scottish architect, Robert Adam. The story of Caldwell House is central to the development of the estate.
Neilston Cemetery opened in 1875 to replace the churchyard surrounding Neilston Parish Church.
Cowden in Neilston comprises the remains of an impressive 19th century designed landscape that included a mansion, extensive glass houses and a boating pond.
Rouken Glen is well known today as a public parkland but has a long hisory and was the location of the now demolished Thornliebank House. The glen is particularly impressive with a dramatic waterfall and accessible geological features.
South Arthurlie House was the home of the Heys family who operated the extensive Printworks