An important feature in the landscape
Our view is that the tower was restored or built as part of a programme of landscape design during the eighteenth century. It is a strong feature in the view from a belvedere at Ramshead, accessed via the pleasure paths within the estate. Further details can be found in Caldwell Tower by Uplawmoor, which first appeared in the magazine of the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland.
Caldwell Tower is a prominent feature in the local landscape. It is symbolised in the emblems of the local Uplawmoor Primary School and of Caldwell Golf Club. Ainslie's map of 1775 indicates a 'pigeon house' or 'doocot' at the position of the tower, and the 1832 map of Renfrewshire by John Thomson shows the tower as 'Bacon H.' suggesting that it was then in use as a building for curing hams. Controversy has accompanied the tower over many years. No evidence has ever been found to support the often repeated claim that the tower is the remnant of the former Caldwell Castle. More recently it became famous as the subject of a controversial renovation project in the television series The Restoration Man.
Bonfire at Tower!
This extract from the estate accounts for 1897, shows that celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee took place at Caldwell Tower. There was a piper present and plenty of whisky...plus a large expenditure on paraffin and tar.