Holy Cross Church - Wild Swans
The Church of the Holy Cross, has a new east window depicting a swan rising bathed in rich colours of yellow and green and blue. It was dedicated on January 4th, 2004 by the Bishop of Lincoln, the R Revd John Saxbee.
Glenn Carter designed and mde it and he describes the work here. The Church of Holy Cross was designed by the architect HT Rushton and built between 1939 - 40. It lies within the sight of the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a building dedicated to St. Hugh who was often depicted with a swan at his side.
The swan within the east window shares both a symbolic reference to the mother church and a local topographical significance. It is a bird which often flies over the church, moving between the lakes located at the Hartsholme Park and Boultham Park.
Within the window of approx. 92 sq. ft. of hand blown antique glass the movement and strong motif of this bird alludes to a cross. The wings, symboic of the divine mission, move left and right across a central axis, depicting both flight and the Ascension.
The illusion of movement is further accentuated by the use of lead and red and orange glass, colours symbolic of the intensity and importance of the Crucifixion. The background matrix of leaded lines fanning from the base support other narratives. The greys are a response to Lincoln's heavy manufacturing history; the greens to the surrounding countryside and the triumph of spring over winter. The blues, reflecting green in places, are suggestive of the lakes and water, the sky and an unveiling of the truth.
Before we reach the swan, small areas of yellow appear to move around behind the swan to left and right and reappear at the top of the window. This is a colour of the Divinity, the sun - shimmering almost gold, and Easter light.