Gifted Resource Guide
for Parents & Teachers
HARVEY COUNTY SPECIAL EDUCATION
Newton, Hesston, & Halstead
- Specially Designed Instruction
- Behaviors and Needs of Gifted Children
- Identification of Gifted Students
- **Gifted Services in Harvey County
- Collaboration & Team Work
- Concept Based Curriculum
- Useful Resources for Parents & Teachers of Gifted Learners
- Academic Competitions
- Gifted Education Staff Contact Information
Best Practices Begin with Purpose
The Harvey County Special Education Cooperative is committed to meeting the special needs of gifted students by providing an array of service delivery options and educational opportunities.
Kansas Definition of Giftedness
“A student who performs or demonstrates the potential to perform at significantly higher levels of accomplishment in one or more academic fields due to intellectual ability, when compared to others of similar age, experience and environment.”
Kansas is different than other states
- In Kansas, Gifted Education is part of Special Education
- In 1978, the Kansas Legislature mandated implementation of Education Services in Kansas
- Students in Kansas must demonstrate an academic need for gifted services in addition to eligibility.
- Teachers of Gifted Students at all levels have fulfilled licensure requirements and specific training at the graduate level to work with gifted students.