4 - Silent Movie Assignment
A silent film is a film with no synchronized recorded sound, especially with no spoken dialogue. The silent film era lasted from 1894 to 1929. In silent films for entertainment, the dialogue is transmitted through muted gestures, mime and title cards which contain a written indication of the plot or key dialogue. The idea of combining motion pictures with recorded sound is nearly as old as film itself, but because of the technical challenges involved, synchronized dialogue was only made practical in the late 1920s with the perfection of the Audion amplifier tube and the introduction of the Vitaphone system.
During silent films, a pianist, theatre organist, or in large cities, even a small orchestra would often play music to accompany the films. Pianists and organists would either play from sheet music or improvise; an orchestra would play from sheet music. - from Wikipedia "Silent Film"
For this assignment you will creating your own silent movie. This one is going to take some thinking through and for many students the first step of thinking of a plot is the hardest aspect of the assignment.
Assignment Scoring Guide
This project is worth a total of 100 points if all requires are met completely and it is turned in on time
- your film must be between 1:15 and 1:45 in length (20 points)
- your film must tell a story (20 points)
- your film must include music but no speaking (10 points)
- your film is in black and white (10 points)
- your film must include a text intro with title of the film and your name (10 points)
- your film must includes a text closing - "The End" (10 points)
- you must be a primary figure in your film (20 points)