Dual Credit Power Point - 02/24/2022

Dual Credit Opportunities

Dual credit is an opportunity for high school students who meet admissions standards to enroll in public postsecondary institutions in South Dakota and simultaneously earn credits for both their high school diploma and postsecondary degree or certificate.

Through a program approved by the South Dakota Legislature, dual credit coursework is available to high school students in grades 11-12 at the rate of $48.33 per credit. Students are responsible for the $48.33 per-credit cost and any required textbooks or related course materials.

Students can choose from several on-campus and online classes, including general education and career and technical education courses.

Spearfish High School also offers the following dual credit courses at SHS:

RS Literature (English 101 & English 210) - (6 BHSU Credits)

RS Physics (4 BHSU Credits)

College Algebra (3 BHSU Credits) - limited space

Emergency Medical Response/Emergency Medical Tech (Western Dakota Tech)

Important Dates for SPRING 2023 Dual Enrollment

November 1, 2022 – SPRING semester dual credit application window opens



January 9 - January 12 - Spearfish High School - 1st semester FINAL EXAM WEEK

January 17, 2023 - Spearfish High School - 2nd semester start dates

Important Dates for Summer 2023 Dual Enrollment

February 1, 2023 – Summer dual credit application window open (juniors only)

Step One - Determine Eligibility FOR FOUR YEAR UNIVERSITIES .

These requirements are only used for 4-YEAR universities - NOT Technical Institutes!!!

*High school SENIORS:

Earn an ACT composite score of 21 reflective of the 50% percentile; orRank in the upper one-half of their graduating class; orEarn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale

*High school JUNIORS:

Earn an ACT composite score of 24 reflective of the 70% percentile; orRank in upper one-third of their graduating class; orEarn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale​

​*Take Accuplacer and meet required score:​

Accuplacer (Sentence Skills – Score 86 or higher AND Elementary Algebra – Score 76 or higher

To enroll in a college English or Math course, placement scores are required. English and Math placement can be met with ACT/SAT, Smarter Balanced, Accuplacer scores. Test scores must be included on your high school transcript, or official score report. If you currently do not have test scores, or do not meet placement, you are eligible to take the Accuplacer Placement exam at the university to meet required placement.

Testing Services are available at Black Hills State University .To schedule an appointment contact: Spearfish Testing Center 605-642-6099Email: BHSPTestingCenter@bhsu.edu

Step Two - Course Offerings

Not sure which dual credit class to select? Find career "Advisory Track" that interests you. Recommendations are found on PDF File.

High School Dual Credit Advisory Tracks

Visit the DOE Dual Credit Dashboard to view course offerings.

Step Three - Scheduling

​Meet with the SHS Counselor to be sure Dual Credit classes will fit in the schedule (remember classes held on campus follow a M,W,F or T,R schedule - not a Maroon/White Schedule)

Step Four - APPLY HERE

Please note:

  • New students: Use METHOD 1.

                • Enter Parent's email.

                • Enter School Counselor's email: jmurphy@spearfish.k12.sd.us

  • Continuing students: Use METHOD 2 - CONTINUING REGISTRATION FORM.

                • Enter Parent's email.

                • Enter School Counselor's email: jmurphy@spearfish.k12.sd.us

Step Five - Verification

​Students will receive a verification email from selected college with course requirements, payment information and due dates.

Step Six - Finalize Schedule

​Finalize SHS schedule with Mrs. Murphy, School Counselor.

Participating Institutions - Contact Information & Link

Black Hills State University

Cailtlin Hill: (605) 642-6214caitlin.hill@bhsu.edu

Dakota State University

Amy Crissinger: (605) 256-5696DualCreditApplication@dsu.edu

Lake Area Technical Institute

Lee Quale: (605) 882-5284 Lee.Quale@lakeareatech.edu

Mitchell Technical Institute

Jenna Reis: (605) 995-7242jenna.reis@mitchelltech.edu

Northern State University

Matthew Perreault : (605) 626-7603matthew.perreault@northern.edu

SD School of Mines & Technology

Genene Sigler: (605) 394-5209genene.sidler@sdsmt.edu

South Dakota State University

Carey Kilmer: (605) 688-4154carey.kilmer@sdstate.edu

Southeast Technical Institute

Anna Fischer: (605) 376-7624anna.fischer@southeasttech.edu

University of South Dakota

Office of Admissions: (605) 658-6200dualcredit@usd.edu

Western Dakota Technical Institute

Diana Newman: (605) 718-2565dualenrollment@wdt.ecu


Q. How many dual credit classes can I take each semester?

A. Students may take three dual credit classes per semester. Additional courses will require written permission from the university.

Q. Where can I take dual credit classes?

A. Classes are offered at all state universities and state technical institutes.

Q. How many high school credits do I receive for each college class?

A. Each college course equals 0.5 high school credit. (For example: College Algebra = .5 credit on high school transcript)

Q. Does College Algebra satisfy the 4th year of math required for the South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship?

A. Yes... as long as the student receives a C or higher. HOWEVER, COLLEGE ALGEBRA TRANSLATES TO .5 HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT.

Q. Do dual credit courses have a higher weighted value?

A. No. Letter grades will be computed into the student's grade point average using a 4.0 scale.

Q. Can seniors take their English requirement as a dual credit class?

A. Seniors have the option to take RS Literature as dual credit. RS Literature is taught at Spearfish High School. Upon successful completion, students receive college credit in Composition and Literature. Students may not take any other college class to satisfy their senior English requirements.

Q. How do I drop a class?

Visit with Mrs. Murphy ASAP if you wish to drop a class. There are very specific deadlines that may effect future dual credit eligibility.

Once determination has been made to drop, return the signed DUAL CREDIT ADD/DROP form to Mrs. Murphy.

*NEW* Continuing Enrollment Requirements As of Fall 2020

During the 2020 Legislative Session, changes were made to SDCL § 13-28-37.1 with regard to continuing eligibility in the High School Dual Credit program. Starting with grades earned during the Fall 2020 Semester, any student who fails or withdraws from a HSDC course will no longer be eligible for the program in future semesters, absent a showing of good cause. Students who earn a F or W grade and who wish to continue in the program must meet one of the three options below:

  1. Show good cause by having a BOR GPA of 2.5 or higher, showing a prior record of success in the HSDC program (for BOR institutions only).

  2. Show good cause by documenting extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student which contributed to the F or W grade(s). Good cause may include, but is not limited to: illness, injury, an illness or death in the family, or unusual academic circumstances.

  3. Regain eligibility in the program by 1.) successfully repeating the course(s) in which the F or W grade(s) were earned, and 2.) paying the full HSDC tuition rate of $145 for the repeated course(s). This includes the portion of tuition typically paid by the state.

Students showing good cause through GPA will be automatically granted an exemption to continue in the program moving forward. Students who experienced extenuating circumstances, or who wish to repeat the course(s) in which the F or W grade was earned at the full HSDC tuition rate to regain program eligibility must fill out an Eligibility Exemption form and submit it to the campus indicated on the form for the student's circumstances. A list of campus contacts for BOR institutions can be found here, & BOTE institution contacts are available on SDMyLife.

Q. Is dual enrollment right for everyone?

A. The dual enrollment program is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerate educational opportunities. Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses will save time and money toward their college degree. Students should understand, however, that dual enrollment course are college courses and the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses may be much greater than in high school courses. In addition, dual enrollment courses become part of a student’s permanent college transcript and are calculated into the student’s permanent postsecondary GPA. Poor performance as a dual enrollment student can ultimately impact one’s postsecondary career, including acceptance to a state university, academic standing and financial aid eligibility. It is important to do well in these courses to realize all the benefits of dual enrollment.

Q. What dual credit class should I take?

A. Please see the South Dakota Board of Regents Advisory Tracks.