Sam Shamsi, PhD, PE
LinkedIn Resume Link: http://linkedin.com/in/samshamsi
Before starting his Public Service career for Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN) in 2019, Dr. Uzair (Sam) Shamsi was the Wet Weather Practice Leader, Northeast for Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc. He is a registered professional engineer in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Georgia, and New York and a certified water and wastewater operator in Pennsylvania. His professional interests include green infrastructure; water, wastewater, and stormwater systems; wet weather and Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO), hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, and Geographical Information System (GIS) applications. He has served as a Continuing Education instructor for ASCE, ESRI, and Penn State University; and as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Pittsburgh and Youngstown State University. His accomplishments include 30 years of experience; over 100 projects; 30 guest lecturers; and nearly 150 publications. Dr. Shamsi has authored two GIS books, one of which is an ASCE Press best-seller. In 2013 his co-authored paper won WEF’s Best Collection Systems paper award. Dr. Shamsi is an ASCE Fellow; ASCE-Pittsburgh President (2019-20), Board Member, and Founding Chair of Continuing Education Committee, 2006 Civil Engineer of the Year; and 2012 Distinguished Civil Engineer; a Founding Diplomate Water Resources Engineer, and a Board Certified Environmental Engineer.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1988
- MS, Water Resources Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 1984
- BS, Civil Engineering, A.M. University, India, 1982
- Practice Leader, Wet Weather, Northeast, Jacobs, Pittsburgh, Feb 2014-Present
- Responsible for wet weather business development, project development and management, QA/QC, and technical guidance and mentoring
- Senior Technical Manager, Michael Baker Corp., Pittsburgh, Jan 2008 to Sept. 2013
- Responsible for projects in water, wastewater, and stormwater engineering; modeling and simulation, GIS/GPS, sustainable development and green infrastructure
- Director, GIS and Modeling, Chester Engineers / Veolia Water, Pittsburgh, May 1988 to Dec 2007
- Responsible for hiring, growth, project development and management, QA/QC, proposals, budgets, and project reports
Honors And Awards
- Best Published Paper Award, Collection Systems, WEF, 2013.
- Distinguished Civil Engineer Award, ASCE Pittsburgh, 2012.
- Civil Engineer of The Year, ASCE Pittsburgh, 2006.
- Water, wastewater, stormwater
- Wet weather planning and design: CSO, SSO, stormwater
- Gray vs. green infrastructure: sustainability, Low Impact Development (LID), and Best management Practices (BMP)
- Hydrologic & hydraulic (H&H) modeling
- Geographic Information System (GIS) applications in water, wastewater, and stormwater systems
Professional Service / Volunteer Work
- Member, Board of Directors, Southwestern Pennsylvania Engineering Outreach (SPEO), May 2016 to present
- Member, Collection Systems Committee, Water Environment Federation (WEF), April 2016-present
- Member, Board of Directors, ASCE Pittsburgh, May 2015 to present
- Chair, ASCE Pittsburgh Continuing Education Committee, Sep. 2013 to present
- Founder and Mentor, Engineers Without Borders USA (EWB-USA), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) Student Chapter, Project Symbiosis, Rampur, India, 2010-2014
- Watershed Festival volunteer, Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN) Open House, Pittsburgh, PA. 2002-2010.
- PE Test Problem Writer, National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
- Member, Collection Systems and CSO Committee, WPWPCA, 2002-2007.
- Member, Implementing GIS Task Force, WEF, 2001-2004.
- Member, GIS Committee, ASCE, 1998-2008
- Member, Prevention and Control of Sewer System Overflows Task Force, WEF, 1996-98.
- Member, Surface Water Hydrology Committee, ASCE, 1994-2008
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member, American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- Member, Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- Member, American Water Resources Association (AWRA)
- Registered Professional Engineer: Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
- Founding Diplomate, American Academy of Water Resources Engineers (AAWRE)
- Diplomate, American Academy of Environmental Engineers (AAEE)
- Certified GIS Professional (GISP), GIS Certification Institute
- Certified Professional Engineer, National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying
- Sewage Treatment Plant Operator, Pennsylvania
- Waterworks Operator, Pennsylvania
- CSO Consent Decree Program (2014-2016), Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati (MSDGC), management consultant - modeling
- Allegheny County Green Infrastructure Study & Program Management Services (2010-2013), 3 Rivers Wet Weather (3RWW) Inc., technical lead
- Wet Weather Plan, Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (2008-12): Onsite Task Manager / Project Engineer for Program Manager's (CDMSmith) team.
- Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Long Term Control Plan (LTCP), Rochester Area Joint Sewer Authority (RAJSA), Beaver County, Pennsylvania. (2010-2012), proposal writer and task manager.
- Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority (PWSA) Consent Order Compliance Project (2005-2007): Proposal writer and technical manager for implementing a mobile-GIS based field inspection program for 28,500 manholes and 39,000 catch basins.
- County-wide CMMS Project, Department of Public Works, Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2004-2007, project manager.
- Beaverdam Branch Basin Comprehensive Sewer Study, Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC), Washington, DC, 2004-2007, project manager.
- Stormwater Management Plans (1988-96): Project Engineer for six Pennsylvania watershed stormwater management plans mandated by the PA Stormwater Management Act 167.
Sample Publications / Presentations
- Paper, Green Infrastructure Opportunities in Gray Wet Weather Plans, Co-authored with Lennon, L.J., Igwe, A., Schombert, J., Collection Systems Conference, Water Environment Federation, June 9-12, 2013, Sacramento, California (WEF Best Published Paper Award, 2013).
- Book, GIS Tools for Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Systems, 375 pages, ASCE Press, August 2002 (An ASCE Press best-seller).
- Book, GIS Applications for Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Systems, 413 pages, CRC Press, AWWA Bookstore, January 2005.
- Book Chapter, Information Management, Chapter 4 in Prevention and Control of Sewer System Overflows, Manual of Practice No. 17, WEF, 2011.
- Webcast, GIS for Water Operators, High Technology Tools for Operators, AWWA, March 11, 2009.
- Book Chapter, Enhancing Productivity through Applications Development, Chapter 5 in GIS Implementation for Water & Wastewater Treatment Facilities, Manual of Practice No. 26, WEF, 2004.
- Journal Paper, A New Pipe Replacement Approach. Journal of American Water Works Association, AWWA, Volume 94, No. 1, January 2002.
- Journal Paper, Stormwater Management Implementation through Modeling and GIS, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, ASCE, March/April, 1996.
- Journal Paper, Quimpo, R.G., Shamsi, U.M., "Reliability-Based Distribution System Maintenance," Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, ASCE, May/June, 1991.