The S.C.O.D. movement is commonly known as "The Sustainable Cooperative for Organic Development", but the acronym is also known as "The Sustainable Community for Organic Dwelling"; as in the original SCAD Thesis based on the Pipedream Pub and specific architectural design work.
The Pipedream Pub was established by the Tontine Triad at RWU. "The Pub", as it is affectionately known, stands for the social commonality of humans, and a philosophical temple for the Tontine Triad (aka Drogo, Cordite, and SimaKe). A Triumvirate of ideological knowledge formed the basis of the Pub (aka Empedocles, Nietzsche, and Laotzu). Two abstracted characters from seemingly opposing theories, brought together by a third, provided a client framework for the Pub and inspiration for continued design work.
"The Sustainable Community for Organic Dwelling"
This refers to the SCAD Architectural Thesis Published in 2000. The Thesis actually designed for a specific community based on individual clients. A real site was chosen and investigated for the actual possibility of acquisition. The project was graded "A" by professors at SCAD, and used to award a Masters Degree in Architecture. This was the beginnings of the continuing and ongoing project SCOD, where the words Community and Dwelling are replaced with Cooperative and Development.
"The Sustainable Cooperative for Organic Development"
From the Thesis project, SCOD evolved into a broader search for a viable real-world site, and perpetual attempt to catalog, document, and communicate with other existing alternative communities all over the World. SCOD seeks to include all those "that want to be included" in its mission statements, and to add their own. SCOD is seen by many as an alternative to mainstream modes of thought, because it is by its very definition a plethora of independent minds and ideas.
SCOD Chronological Evolution
* 1994 The Pipedream Pub was formed at RWU
* 2000 SCOD Architectural Thesis was published at SCAD
* 2002 SCOD.org Website for "SCOD Fallout" Film published
* 2003 SCOD Community Outreach: Armory Pub, Jefferson County AHA
* 2004 SCOD Community Outreach: Claymont, Pagans, Homeless, ATC, NPS
* 2005 SCOD Theory taught at Shepherd College's "Environmental Architecture" Class
* 2006 SCOD works with Pagan and Christian Air Force Chaplains
* 2007 SCOD Greenhood Video Channel began leading to over 1,000 subscribers
* 2008 SCOD.com Website published to link multiple pages
* 2009 SCOD Public Blog began publishing articles
* 2010 SCOD Thesis published on Amazon and Kindle as a book
* 2012 SCOD Music Creative Commons Collaborations on Facebook & Reverb Nation
* 2013 SCOD Council formed by vote, President elected.
More about SCOD:
The word "SCOD" is a symbol for all or any of the various aspects it represents, and can be used as an expression describing eclectic alternative and environmental thought or design. SCOD also refers to The Pipedream Pub and RWU Tontine Triad. Many different forms of media are inspired by SCOD, just as SCOD is inspired by many forms of media. The SCOD media concept is attempted self-sustainability by integrated community networks and productive individuals.
SCOD itself exists as a collective multiple amalgam of various ideas, but is never restricted to one particular mixture. Even a vision of Utopia or Paradise is different for everyone, yet SCOD does not claim permanent perfection. Many believe that our human existence only allows glimpses of archetypal enlightenment. Regardless, SCOD strives for Organic Sustainability for humans.
Currently in 2013 SCOD exists as a virtual online community, and continues to slowly grow.
SCOD Music Page on Facebook (Free Collaborative Creative Commons)
Drogo Empedocles SCOD Music on Reverb Nation (Free Collaborative Creative Commons)