STEAM LOCOMOTIVES OF THE
BUILT BY MANCHESTER IN 1902
A PORTFOLIO OF PHOTOGRAPHS
OF STEAM LOCOMOTIVES
BOX CAR SLOGAN REFERRING TO A FAST FREIGHT THE RUTLAND INITIATED IN JANUARY 1939
The Rutland started as the Rutland & Burlington which began operating in 1848 northward from Bellows Falls. In 1870 the Rutland was leased by its major competitor the Vermont Central which had control until 1896. During a subsequent period of independence the Rutland was extended to Ogdensburg, NY and Bennington. In 1905 the New York Central Railroad purchased control but in 1911 the NYC sold half its interest. The New York Central's influence on the Rutland can be seen in its locomotives some of which display NYC design elements. Vermont provided a beautiful setting for the Rutland but not enough steady income to insure survival. A labor strike closed the railroad in the early 1960's although complete abandonment of the track was prevented by the purchase of sections of the Rutland by Vermont. However, the Rutland ceased to exist.
BELLOWS FALLS FEBRUARY 8,1947
Rutland 4-6-0 73 with the Rutland engine terminal in the background. The truss bridges on the left are used by the Boston & Maine and Central Vermont.
Each of the following web pages displays photos of a different locomotive wheel arrangement starting with the Rutland's 0-6-0 switchers followed by the 0-8-0. 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 4-6-2 and 4-8-2 types. Within each page the locomotives are listed in order of the 1913 renumbering - prior numbers are not shown. The roster data is taken from Jim Shaughnessy's THE RUTLAND ROAD which used the data compiled by F. Steward Graham which had been published in BULLETIN 90 of the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society.
THE GREEN MOUNTAIN FLYER
NAVIGATING THIS WEB SITE
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS
USE THE SIDEBAR TO GO TO EACH WHEEL ARRANGEMENT - IF THE SIDEBAR IS NOT VISIBLE, CLICK THE THREE PARALLEL BARS IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER
CLICK THE ARROW BEFORE THE PAGE IN THE SIDEBAR AND A NEW PAGE WILL BE ADDED
CLICK EACH NEW ARROW UNTIL ALL PAGES ARE DISPLAYED IN THE SIDEBAR
TO VIEW A SPECIFIC PAGE CLICK THAT PAGE
DAVID C. BARTLETT PHOTOGRAPHED DOUBLE-HEADED 2-8-2s
SOUTH OF RUTLAND IN AUGUST 1950.
Postcard published by Audio Visual Designs.
PLEASE VISIT MY OTHER STEAM WEB SITES:
SITE CONSTRUCTED BY EDWARD J. OZOG