Courses Developed and Taught in the Graduate Programme
Courses Developed in Teacher Education Programme at
- CTL 1355 Curriculum Issues in Teacher
Education: from Student to Teacher
- CTL 1115 Constructing
Professional Knowledge in Teaching: Holistic Perspectives to Teacher
Education and Teacher Learning
- CTL 1105 Research and
Inquiry in the Arts.
- CTL 4998 Independent
Reading Course (Numerous individual students)
- CTL 1809 Narrative and Story in Research and Professional Practice
Courses Taught in Teacher Education Programme at OISE/UT
- EDU 3161 Teaching: Students, Schools and
- EDU 3140 Developing a Personal Philosophy
3162 Teachers’ Stories, Teachers’ Lives: The Place of Narrative in
- EDU 3508 School and
- EDU 5520 Crafting a Teacher Identity
(formerly named Developing a Personal Philosophy)
- EDU3020 Programme Organization
- EDU3140 Developing a Personal Philosophy
- EDU 3100 Understanding Children and Youth
- EDU 1101 English (Intermediate)
- EDU 3240 Individual Research Project
- EDU 3161 Teaching: Students, Schools and Systems
- EDU 3162 Teachers’ Stories, Teachers’ Lives: The Place of Narrative in Personal-Professional Development
- EDU 3508 School and Society
4 Doctor of Philosophy Dissertations
1 Doctor of Education Dissertation
4 Master of Arts Dissertations
11 Doctoral Level Qualifying Research Papers (QRP)
5 Masters Research Papers (MRP)
8 External Examiner ( PHD/EDD)
1 External Examiner ( M. A.)
In Progress: 3 Doctor of Philosophy Dissertations
External Examiner of Doctoral Theses (external to OISE/UT):
- January, 2009. External Examiner, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia. PhD. A Theatre of the Observed: a Study of Adolescent Meaning-Making. Patricia McCann.
- August 2006. External Examiner, University of Ballarat, Australia. Ed.D. Contemporary Ways of Learning in Secondary Teacher Education: Towards a Deeper Understanding of Teacher Learning. Maryann Brown.
- April 2006. External Examiner, University of Sydney, Australia. Ph.D. Noticing, Naming and Reframing Learning in Mathematics Teacher Education. Tracey Jayne Smith.
- July 2004. External Examiner, University of British Columbia, Canada. Ph.D. Making Sense with a Sense of Humor: An Examination of the Joke as a Hermeneutic Unit and its Potential Place in Education. Elaine Decker.
- April 2002. External Examiner, University of Sydney, Australia. Ph.D. Teacher professional development journeys: A narrative case study of four teachers of drama. Michael Anderson.
- July 2002. External Examiner, University of Melbourne, Australia. Ph.D. Music Education in daycare and pre-school. Mary Downie.
- October 1999. External Examiner, University of Western Sydney, Nepean, Australia. Ed.D. Portfolios: Narratives for Learning and Assessment. Helen Woodward.
- June 1997 External Examiner, University of Sydney, Australia. Ed.D. Perceptions of Teachers: A Case Study of Giftedness in Young Children. Janice Margaret Hall.
- External Examiner of Masters Theses
- May 2000 External Examiner, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario. M.Ed. A Qualitative Study of the Issue of Authority from the Perspective of Secondary School Principals. Carol L. Leis.
OISE/UT Graduate Supervisions Completed:
Doctoral Dissertations ( Ph.D./Ed.D) Supervised . (5 Completed)
- Rae Johnson (Ph.D.) Embodied Knowing: A Narrative Exploration. Completed 2007.
- Winifred Huntsberger (Ed.D.) An Inquiry Into Teachers' Roles in Inquiry Learning. Completed 2007
- Darrell Dobson (Ph.D.) Narratives of Transformative Learning. Completed 2007.
- Carol Lipszyc (Ph.D.) Self Journeyer: On Writing and Teaching Paths: An Arts Based Autoethnographic Study on the Interconnectedness Between Teaching & Writing. Completed 2006.
- Carol Richardson (Ph.D.) A Narrative Study of the role of Music in the Lives of Three Preservice Teachers. Completed 2006.
M.A. Theses Supervised. (4 Completed)
- Johardit Singh Barwait (M.A.) Teaching to Transform: An Exploration of Professional Development within Adult Education. Completed 2005.
- Bob Phillips (M.A.) Ongoing Works of Art: Artful Pedagogy and Teaching Performance. Completed 2005.
- Rae Johnson (M.A.) Knowing in Our Bones; Exploring the Embodied Knowledge of Somatic Educators. Completed 2003.
- Angela Marsh (M.A.) Meaning – Making Through Art Making in a Community-Based Art Programme. Completed 2004.
Doctoral Level Qualifying Research Papers Supervised (Q.R.P.) (11 Completed)
- Laura Hegge (Q.R.P.) A Spirit of Renewal: Teachers’ Practices for Succor, Survival and Renewal. Completed 2006.
- Cynthia Argona. (Q.R.P.) Identifying Ekvall's Ten Dimensions of Creative Climate in Aesthetic Education. Completed 2005.
- Katrina Kenny (Q.R.P.) A Journey of Pain & Healing: A Narrative of Self Injury. Completed 2005.
- William Cho (Q.R.P.) Construction of Teachers’ Knowledge through Collaborative Research. Completed 2004.
- Stacey Campbell (Q.R.P.) Action Research Narrative and Teachers’ Work. Completed 2004.
- Rae Johnson (Q.R.P.) Somatic Knowledge. Completed 2003.
- Laura Lee Kearns (Q.R.P.) A Narrative Inquiry into Homophobia in Schools. Completed 2002.
- Wendy Dean (Q.R.P.) Journaling a Pathway through Grief. Completed 2001. (Second Reader).
- Lisa Onbelet (Q.R.P.) Developing Empathy. Completed 2000.
- Kathy Broad (Q.R.P.) Reflection and Teacher Development. Completed 1999.
- Christina Grant (Q.R.P.) Music, Art and Teacher Development. Completed 1999.
Masters Research Papers Supervised (M.R.P). (5 Completed)
- Peter Donatelli (M.R.P.) Learning About Teaching from Students. Completed 2006.
- Jessica Dargo (M.R.P.) Building Connections between the theatre and the classroom: developing teachers’ knowledge and practice. Completed 2005.
- Robert Lompart (M.R.P.) The Brilliance of Boys: Perceptions of Masculinity and the Value of Visual Arts to Male Secondary Students. Completed 2005.
- Sandra Sonoski (M.R.P.) Constructing Professional Knowledge; Connecting Theory and Practice. Completed 1996.
- Pauline Hargreaves (M.R.P.) Learning to teach; Studying a Beginning Teacher. Completed 1996.
Graduate Supervisions Ongoing
Ph.D. Supervisions: Ongoing
- Lisa Onbelet (Ph.D.) Faithful Minds and Hearts: A Narrative Inquiry into the Learning and Teaching of Mindfulness and Empathy.
- Linda Leckie (Ph.D.) Curriculum, Ecology and Teacher Development.
- Laura Hegge (Ph.D.) Narrative Inquiry: Teachers’ Practices for Renewal.
Graduate Committee Membership
17 Doctor of Philosophy Dissertations
6 Doctor of Education Dissertations
3 Master of Education Dissertations
4 Doctor of Philosophy Dissertations
1 Doctor of Education Dissertation
1 Masters of Education Dissertation
Doctoral Committee Memberships Completed:
- Takbir Ali (Ph.D.) Understanding How Improvement-Oriented High School Teachers Experience Change in Northern Pakistan. Completed 2007. (Committee Member).
- Anne Dhir (Ph.D) Perennial Pedagogy. Completed, 2007. ( Committee Member)
- Vicky Kelly (Ph.D.) The Arts as Catalyst and Catharsis: The Role of the Arts in Human Development. Completed 2006. (Committee Member).
- Gail Thornton (Ph.D.) Glimpsing Spirit in Education: Valuing Personal Transformation. Completed 2006. (Committee Member).
- Pauline Smiley (Ph.D.) Exploring College Students’ Experiences with Breath Meditation: A Case Study. Completed 2006. (Committee Member).
- Julian Kitchen (Ph.D.) Relational Teacher Development. A Quest for Meaning in the Garden of Experience. Completed 2005. (Committee Member).
- Duishonkul Alievich Shamatov (Ph.D.) The Professional Socialization of Beginning Teacher in Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan. Completed 2005. (Committee Member).
- Melanie Tait (Ph.D.) A Strengths Approach to Challenges and Growth in the First Year of Teaching. Completed 2005. (Committee Member).
- Mola-Dad Shafa (Ph.D.) Understanding how a Government Secondary School Head Addresses School Improvement Challenges in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Completed 2003. (Committee Member).
- Ayesha Bashiruddin (Ph.D.) Learning English & Learning to Teach English: The Case of Two Teachers of English in Pakistan. Completed 2002. (Committee Member).
- Brenda Beatty (Ed.D.) Emotion Matters in Educational Leadership. Completed 2002. (Committee Member).
- Sheila Cook (Ed.D.) Understanding Empathy: Inner Language in Second Language Teaching. Completed 2002. (Committee Member).
- Gina Valli (Ph.D.) Responding to Diversity in our Classrooms: Teachers tell their stories. Completed 2001. (Committee Member).
- Liliana Vani (Ph.D.) Portfolios; Assessment as Professional Learning. Completed 2001. (Committee Member).
- Jean Biro (Ed.D.) A Preliminary Investigation Towards Initiating Cooperative Learning with Mainstreamed Deaf/Hard of Hearing Students. Completed 2000. (Committee Member).
- Jacqueline Karsemeyer (Ph.D.) Moved by the Spirit: A Narrative Inquiry Completed 2000. (Committee Member).
- Geraldine Lyn Piluso (Ph.D.) What Else Is There To Do? A Heuristic Study of Emancipatory Relationships. Completed 2000. (Committee Member).
- Sharon Speir (Ph.D.) The Mything Link: An Analysis of the Archetypes, Images, Metaphors and Myths in the 'Crisis and Education' Story. Completed 1999. (Committee Member).
- Gianna Di Rezze (Ph.D.) Moral Purpose and Change Agentry; Case Studies of Experienced Teachers. Completed 1999. (Committee Member).
- Michael Farrell (Ed.D) Drama and the Postmodern. Completed 1999. (Committee Member).
- Sheila Dermer Applebaum (Ph.D.) Conversations in Counterpoint: A Narrative Inquiry into the Professional Knowledge Landscape of Female Administrators at a Board of Education. Completed 1998. (Committee Member).
- Jennifer Anne MacIntyre (Ed.D.) Personal and Professional Renewal: Exploring Relational Learning Among Consultants within a Group Context. Completed 1998. (Committee Member).
- Fiona O’Donoghue (Ed.D.) The Hunger for Professional Learning in Nunavut Schools. Completed 1998. (Committee Member).
Masters Committee Memberships Completed:
- Paul Royce (M.A.) Spirit Wave: A Model of Holistic Change. Completed 2005. (Committee Member).
- Stephanie Sauvé (M.A.) Magical Narrative: Playful Construction of Life Experiences in Exploratory Pedagogy. Completed 2004. (Committee Member).
- Michelle Evans (M.A.) Ritual and Rites of Passage: A Gentle Unfolding of Self. Completed 1999. (Committee Member).
Doctoral Committee Memberships Ongoing:
- Enid Lee (Ph.D.) Beyond Technique for Transformation: A Sociolinguistic Analysis of Black Educators' Perceptions of Professional Development and Leadership Models that Facilitate Anti-Racist Change.
- Kim Eyre (Ph.D.) How Elementary Music Teachers Construct their Professional Knowledge. Faculty of Music, University of Toronto).
- Shafik Nanji (Ph.D.) The Sign's Enchantment.
- Lilja Jonsdottir (Ph.D.) Narrative Inquiry and Teacher Development. University of Iceland.
- Carol Ireland (Ed.D.) Creating a Presence of Place.
Masters Committee Memberships Ongoing:
- Cheryl St. Hilier (M.A.) Spirituality: The Heart of Catholic Education.