Monographs Authored (Peer Refereed):
- Beattie, M. (1995). The Case of Corktown Community High School: A Distinctive Urban Alternative School. Toronto: Canadian Education Association Publication: 172 pages.
in Refereed Journals:
M. (2007). Creating a Self: A Narrative and Holistic Perspective.
International Journal of Education and the Arts. 8,(13)
- Beattie, M., Dobson, D.,
Thornton, G. & Hegge, L. (2007). Interacting Narratives: Creating
and Recreating the Self. International Journal of Lifelong
Learning, 26(2): 119-141.
- Beattie, M., Thornton, G.,
Dobson, D. and Hegge, L. (2005). Intentionally Seeking Spirit – A
Work in Progress. Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy (2) 2.
Educators’ International Press. (Invited and reviewed): 102-106.
- Beattie, M. (2002). Educational Leadership: Modeling,
Mentoring, Making & Re-Making a Learning Community. Teaching
and Teacher Education. European Journal of Teacher Education, 25 (2 and
- Beattie, M. (2000). Narratives of
Professional Learning: Becoming a Teacher and Learning to Teach.
Journal of Educational Enquiry, 1 (2): 1-24.
- Nixon, J., Beattie, M., Challis, M., & Walker, M.
(1998). What Does it Mean to Be an Academic? A Colloquium.
Teaching in Higher Education, 3 (3): 277-298.
- Beattie, M. (1997). Fostering Reflective Practice in
Teacher Education: Inquiry as a Framework for the Construction of a
Professional Knowledge in Teaching. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher
Education, 25 (2): 111-128.
- Beattie, M., &
Thiessen, D. (1997). School-Based Restructuring and Change: The
realities & challenges from the perspectives of teachers and
students. The Curriculum Journal, 8 (3): 414-439.
- Beattie, M. & Conle, C. (1996). Teacher
Narrative, Fragile Stories and Change. Asia-Pacific Journal of
Teacher Education, 24 (3): 309-326.
M. (1995). New Prospects for Teacher Education; Narrative Ways of
Knowing Teaching and Teacher Education. Educational Research, 36
- Beattie, M. (1995). The Making of a Music:
The Construction and Reconstruction of a Teacher's Personal Practical
Knowledge. Curriculum Inquiry, 25 (2): 133-150.
Essays / Book Reviews in Refereed Journals:
- Beattie, M. (2008).
Connecting the Prose and the Passion; Education as making Connections.
An Essay/Review of Education as Translation: A Metaphor for Change in
Learning and Teaching. Alison Cook-Sather, University of Pennsylvania,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Curriculum Inquiry: 38 (4): 515-531.
- Beattie, M. (2003). Narratives and Fictions in
Educational Research (Book Review). Educational Research, Summer. 45
- Beattie, M. (2003). Narratives and Fictions in
Educational Research (Book Review). Educational Research: 213-215.
- Beattie, M. (1998). A Life in School: What the teacher
learned. (Book Review). Teaching in Higher Education, 3 (1): 103-107.
- Beattie, M. (1997). Teachers' Stories (Book Review).
Educational Research, 39 (2): 236-237.
M. (1995). Learning to teach; Teaching to learn (Book Review).
Teaching Education, 7 (2).
- Beattie, M. (2002). Finding New Words for Old Songs: Creating Relationships and Community in Teacher Education. In Re-Educating the Educator: Global Perspectives on Community Building. Christiansen, H. & Ramadevi, S. (Eds.) State University of New York Press, Albany, New York: 17-38.
- Beattie, M. (1997). Collaboration in the Construction of Professional Knowledge: Finding Answers in Our Own Reality. In Teaching Curriculum and Educational Research. Sugrue, C. (Ed.) St. Patrick’s College Publications, Dublin, Ireland, pp. 147-159. Also published in Recreating Relationships: Collaboration & Educational Reform. Christiansen, H., Goulet, L. Krentz, C., & Maeers, M. (Eds.), Albany: State University of New York Press: 133-151.
- Mullen, C.A., Diamond, C.T.P., Beattie, M. & Kealy, W.A. (1999). Musical Chords: An Arts-Based Inquiry in Four Parts. In, Diamond, C.T.P. & Mullen, C.A. (Eds.) The Postmodern Educator: Arts-Based Inquiries and Teacher Development, New York: Peter Lang: 341-373.
- Beattie, M. (1994). Finding a Voice and Giving Voice to Teachers' Stories of Growth and Change Through Inquiry. Chapter for Hunt, D. and Cole, A. (Eds.), The Doctoral Thesis Journey: Reflections from Travelers and Guides. Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. Toronto: 19-24.
- Beattie, M. (1993). The Art of Teaching: Collaborative Story Making. In, Searching for Connections: Struggling for Community, Collaborative Research in Teacher Education. D. Jean Clandinin (Ed.) Among Teachers Community, University of Alberta, Centre for Research for Teacher Education and Development: 108-114.
- Beattie, M. (1992). The Story of Finding a Voice; Collaborative Inquiry into Change and Growth in Teacher Learning. In Stories We are: Narrative Enactment of Inquiry. Mullen, C. et al. (Eds.) Among Teachers Community/Ontario Institute for Studies in Education: 91‑112.
- Diamond, P., Mullen, C., & Beattie, M. (1996). Arts Based Educational Research: Making Music. In, Kompf, M, Bond, R., Dworet, T., & Boak, T. (Eds). Changing Research and Practice: Teachers' Professionalism, Identities and Knowledge. London, The Falmer Press: 175-185.
- Beattie, M. (1996). The Faculty Development Group Initiative. In, Booth, D., & Steigelbauer, S. Teaching Teachers: The Faculty of Education University of Toronto 1906-1996. Hamilton: Caliburn Enterprises Inc.: 167-176.
Conference Proceedings Edited:
Papers in Refereed Conference Proceedings:
- Beattie, M., Gruneau, H. & Thiessen, D. (Eds.) (1996). Interpersonal, Sources of Development for Beginning & Experienced Teachers. Toronto: Among Teachers Community Publishing Group, 235 pages.
- Beattie, M., Dobson, D., Hegge, L. & Thornton, G.
(2006). Interacting Narratives: The Arts, Spiritual Practices, and the
Transformation of Self. Paper Published in I.E.R.G. (Imagination in
Education Research Group) Conference proceedings.
- Beattie, M., Dobson, D., Thornton, G. and Hegge, L.
(2005). Imagination, the Arts and the Transformation of Consciousness.
Paper published in I.E.R.G. Conference proceedings.
- Beattie, M. (2004). Imagination and Education. Paper
published in I.E.R.G. Conference Proceedings.
- Beattie, M. (1998). Becoming a Teacher: Collaboration in
the Construction of Professional Knowledge: Finding Answers in Our Own
Reality. In, Sugrue, K. (Ed.). Teaching, Curriculum and Educational
Research. St. Patrick's College, Dublin, Ireland: 147-159.
- Beattie, M. A (1996). Collaborative Relationship between
a Consultant and Teacher. In, M. Beattie, D. Thiessen and H. Gruneau
(Eds.) Interpersonal Sources of Development for Beginning and
Experienced Teachers. Toronto: Among Teachers Community Publishing
- Beattie, M. (1996). Introduction to the
Collected Papers, In M. Beattie, D. Thiessen & H. Gruneau (Eds.)
Interpersonal Sources of Development for Beginning and Experienced
Teachers. Toronto: Among Teachers Community Publishing Group: 1-18.
- Beattie, M. (1991). Educational Reform: Reforming Our
Understandings, Reforming Ourselves. In, D.B. Maudsley (Ed.), The
Symposium of Innovations in Teacher Education, vol. 1. Secretariat in
the Learning Programmes, Division of the Ontario Ministry of Education:
- Connelly, M. & Beattie, M. (1992). Narrative storytelling and teacher education. (Chapter 4: Keynote
Address): 125-135. In, Proceedings: The Symposium on Innovations in
Teacher Education, May 15-17, 1991, vol. 1, D. B. Maudsley (Ed.).
Presented at the Learning Programs Secretariat and the Centre for
Teacher Education in the Ontario Ministry of Education, in collaboration
with the Faculty of Education, University of Toronto, The Faculty of
Education, York University, and the Joint Centre for Teacher
Development. Toronto: Ministry of Education, Teacher Education Branch:
- Beattie, M. (2004). OISE Report on Centre for Teacher
Development. (with J. Miller and C. Beck): 1-14.
- Beattie, M. (2005). Chapter Review, Handbook of
Narrative Inquiry. Sage Publications: 1-5 (Invited).
- Beattie, M. (2004). Narratives in the Making; A Report
of the Research. Research in Ontario Secondary Schools. Report on
Research Series. May 2004, 9 (1): 1-8.
M. (1993). Choosing Change, A Case of Multiple Perspectives (with D.
Thiessen). In, Years of Transition: Times for Change, A review and
Analysis of Pilot Projects Investigating Issues in the Transition
Years. A. Hargreaves et al. Report to the Ontario Ministry of
- Beattie, M. (1990). Partnerships in
Publishing: Research and Report for the Canadian Book Publishers
Association (School Group):
- Beattie, M. (1993). Report
to the Royal Commission on Learning on Behalf of the Canadian Book