We are focused on helping you as a parent to develop skills, improve your chances of getting a job, to move from a low wage to a better wage, to feel more secure in your job, to improve your family finances and the security of your children along the way.
We offer one-to-one support and flexible learning opportunities that are suited to your needs. Our team are friendly and supportive and we try to make our courses and events available within your community.
- interested in learning new skills, or gaining qualifications, or do you need employment and volunteering support?
- living in Newport
- a parent or guardian with children under 18
- in receipt of benefits or on a low wage?
Then we can support you!
We are a flexible, informal and friendly project. We will support you throughout your learning journey, which will be tailored towards your individual needs. Where possible, our courses will take place within your community where we can arrange crèche facilities.
Some of the things we can help you with:
- understanding what benefits you are entitled to
- managing family budgets and sorting out any debts
- becoming more confident and increasing your social skills
- learning how to find work, make effective job applications and do well at interviews
- undertaking training so that you have the skills that employers need
- dealing with other challenges like childcare, health issues, housing or budgeting.
Engagement and Support
We are a friendly and approachable team of engagement workers and we understand the importance of engaging with people in an environment in which they feel comfortable. This could include...
- your home
- your community
- our main office
- a place of your choice
We will support you by assessing your individual needs and developing a personal plan which will take into consideration...
- your pace
- your direction
- your journey
You will have a designated Engagement Worker and a dedicated support team who will work with you throughout your journey.
Learning and Skills
The Family Skills team of qualified tutors and support workers deliver informal learning programmes in a flexible, friendly and supportive environment, so you can achieve your goals at a pace that suits you, with opportunities to gain accredited awards and qualifications along the way. Browse our list of courses and contact us for further details - we are here to help!
We offer courses in:
Finding Your Focus
Cooking on a Budget
Emergency First Aid
Paediatric First Aid
Health & Safety
And many more!
Money and debt
Managing money is important to everyone. We understand the difficulties and stresses of budgeting in these demanding and challenging financial times and offer varied support to meet your individual needs:
- money and debt management
- household budgeting and better-off calculations
- benefits advice and entitlements
- signposting to local debt & financial support services
Employability and Volunteering
Get that job!
We understand the barriers people face when looking for and starting work. Our aim is to help you gain the skills and confidence you need to secure employment:
- C.V. writing
- interview techniques
- application forms
- job searching
- writing cover letters and speculative letters
Taking it step by step
Not everyone is ready to walk straight into work, so we also offer volunteering and work placements.
We have developed a programme working with the expertise of GAVO to ensure a supportive and beneficial experience. With volunteering and placement opportunities available across the city you can develop skills and knowledge, enhance your future career choices, as well as make friends.