BME Sport Cymru
BME Sport Cymru’s aim is to promote and support the inclusion of all under-represented BME communities in sport and physical activity, so as to improve long-term opportunities, health and wellbeing.
SEWREC is the main delivery partner in Newport, in partnership with Newport Live Sports Development team. Funded by Sport Wales, the lead partner for the project is the Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA).
Supporting BME community groups, clubs and individuals of all ages in a wide variety of settings in Newport, we aim to tackle inequality of access and under-representation, working closely with sporting bodies and organisations within Newport and across Wales to increase long term sustainable participation in sport and physical activities:
- Developing stronger links with and understanding of BME communities, identifying barriers and issues that may prevent BME people accessing sport and physical activity opportunities, developing strategies to break down these barriers
- Increasing awareness of existing sport and physical activity provision, promoting independent access
- Delivering new provision of sport and physical activities
- Providing volunteering and training and career development opportunities in sport and physical activity
- Hosting events to introduce more BME people to sport and physical opportunities
- Holding regular BME Sport Forums.
Contact us for further information and advice on how to get involved with this exciting project!