B.S. in Chemistry from Furman University
Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry from California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Post-doctoral Research Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Biology/chemistry teacher at Arlington Catholic High School in Boston, MA
Chemistry/physical science teacher at Irmo High School (also served as the Science Department Chair for three years)
Magnet Director at Spring Valley High School beginning in 2010
Undergraduate research at Furman University in synthetic chemistry/biochemistry
Graduate research at Caltech with Dr. Peter Dervan; Thesis: "Sequence-Specific Recognition of DNA by Pyrrole-Imidazole Hairpin Polyamides"
Post-Doctoral Research at MIT with Dr. Robert Langer; DNA delivery system
1. Mrksich, M., Parks, M.E. and Dervan, P.B. (1994). Hairpin Peptide Motif - a New Class of Oligopeptides for Sequence-Specific Recognition in the Minor- Groove of Double-Helical DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 116, 7983-7988.
2. Cho, J.Y., Parks, M.E. and Dervan, P.B. (1995) Cyclic Polyamides for Recognition in the Minor-Groove of DNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 92, 10389-10392.
3. Parks, M.E., Baird, E.E. and Dervan, P.B. (1996) Recognition of 5'-(A,T)GG(A,T)(2)-3' sequences in the minor groove of DNA by hairpin polyamides. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 118, 6153-6159.
4. Parks, M.E., Baird, E.E. and Dervan, P.B. (1996) Optimization of the hairpin polyamide design for recognition of the minor groove of DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 118, 6147-6152.
5. Parks, M.E. and Dervan, P.B. (1996) Simultaneous binding of a polyamide dimer and an oligonucleotide in the minor and major grooves of DNA. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 4, 1045-1050.
*My maiden name was Michelle E. Parks.
I am happily married and have two energetic young boys. We love to camp, hike, and spend time outdoors as a family. In fact, we did the Table Rock trail (~7 miles RT, ~2,000 ft elevation gain) when our boys were only 4 and 8 years old! I also enjoy running, swimming, cooking, and gardening.
Taking a break on Governor's Rock on the way up the Table Rock trail
My family at Artist's Point in Yellowstone National Park