Lake Mills HS Academic and Career Planning
What is Academic and Career Planning (ACP)?
Academic and Career Planning (ACP) is a collaboratively developed, student-driven process where students cultivate their own informed decisions for post-secondary success. Research has shown that a comprehensive ACP program increases student motivation and engagement. Students also gain a deeper understanding of themselves, including their strengths and weaknesses. This process helps ensure that students are college, career, and life ready!
At Lake Mills High School, we will utilize Xello as a tool in academic and career planning. Xello's goal is "every student, future ready!" and it was designed as an upgrade from Career Cruising, the service previously utilized. All components of Xello align with our stages of academic and career planning.
Build self-knowledge - Know
Explore options - Explore
Create a Plan - Plan
Learn & Assess - Go
The ACP Process is based on "Know-Explore-Plan-Go"
KNOW- Who am I?
Individual reflection and goal-setting
EXPLORE- What do I want to do?
Explore all options
Career awareness activities
PLAN- How do I get there?
Connecting middle and high school instructional activities with opportunities to explore or learn more about a particular field of interest.
Work-based learning opportunities
Extra-curricular and community-based learning experiences
Postsecondary training options
Financial plan to cover cost of postsecondary training
GO- Do IT!
Adapt/Modify Intentional Sequence of Courses
Adapt/Modify Personal Goals
Adapt/Modify Postsecondary/Career Goals
Parents can help with this process by:
- Asking your student to share their Xello profile with you.
- Knowing your student's interests, skills, and values and helping support their growth.
- Encouraging your student to get involved in activities that match their interests, skills, and values.
- Reminding your student that all careers have multiple pathways and encouraging them to explore all the options.
- Talking to your student about your career experiences.
- Helping your student find the resources they need to be successful.