As a 9th grader, you will have a choice between CDAT9 and the 9th Grade Academy. This is only a choice for 9th grade, as all students will choose an official academy going into 10th grade (CDAT-STEM Academy, Global Business Leadership and Arts, and Life and Health Academy).
Both choices will offer support for 9th graders as they start their high school years, such as peer mentors, special advisement, and more.
The key difference is that CDAT9 will also be focused on more project-based learning. Our 2019-2020 9th graders will be taking 3 credits: Science (Chemistry), Language Arts, and technology (Intro to Digital Technology)! Our teachers collaborate and focus on making learning Authentic, Creative and Efficient. They combine assignments into single creative projects, and our students take Intro to Digital Tech (IDT, not IBT) as a tool to express their Science and Language Arts. Students are with us for 3 consecutive hours, and the rest of the day they are participating in traditional high school classes. We are pretty good at it, already in 4 books and numerous articles about how successful we are (not to mention the awards such as Student Emmy's, a Patent, International Science Fair, and more.) You are not committed to CDAT for your entire time at Lanier High, just 9th grade (but we'd love to have you stay!).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are CDAT9 students focused on STEM?
- No, they are focused on creative projects to demonstrate their learning and to learn how to collaborate as a professional team. We just happen to use their Language Arts and Science classes to have fun!
- Are CDAT9 students committed to the CDAT STEM Academy for their 4 years?
- No, they can change any year when we register for classes.
- Which students do well in CDAT9?
- Our most successful students have the ability to work as a team, do their part, and be open to new ideas.
- How do I sign up for CDAT9?
- To register for CDAT9, simply choose it on your registration form, that's it!