Rates & Policies
My rate is $90/hr. I prefer check or cash, but I can accept credit cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay, or PayPal. Payment is due at the conclusion of each session.
I offer a $5/hr discount for a 10-hour pre-paid block ($850). Block rate must be paid by check or cash. Payment is due at the conclusion of the first block-rate session and the client must maintain a positive balance to continue at the block rate. I maintain an on-line spreadsheet for each block rate client so that they may view all charges and payments and keep track of the status of their account.
Daily Rate and Professional Pilot Services
My daily rate is $750, plus expenses. Most Professional Pilot Services engagements require me to commit most or all of a day and are therefore billed at the full daily rate.
Like many flight instructors and professional pilots, I am an independant contractor. You will need to pay me directly for my services since I do not get paid through West Valley or any other flying club or organization.
Please note that the above rates (hourly, block, or daily) are for my services only -- they do not include aircraft rental fees, club membership fees, or any other such expenses if/as appropriate for your particular situation.
Scheduling & Availability
As a full-time instructor, I am generally available five days a week, including weekends - Wednesday and Thursday are my days off. WVFC members may use Schedule Master (my.schedulemaster.com) for scheduling or to check my availability. If needed, I can often adjust my schedule to accommodate special requests, such as professional pilot engagements, adventure flights, long cross-countries, ferry flights, factory pickups, special events, etc.
Please contact me before scheduling any of the following:
- Your first session with me (new client)
- A session on Wednesday or Thursday (typically these are my days off)
- A session at night (after sunset or before sunrise)
- A session that starts before 0800 or ends after 1800
- A session at any location other than PAO (eg, before scheduling at SQL)
- Any special request (as mentioned above)
- Please try to leave an hour open on the schedule around noontime so that I may have a lunch break. Other than my lunch break, please schedule up against others on the schedule when able (please do not leave small gaps unless absolutely necessary).
- My schedule is often relatively full near-in, but it tends to have considerably better availability if you look out a week or two, or more. If you can find a near-in slot that meets your needs then that's great. But planning (and scheduling) weeks in advance is often the best way to get dates and times that you want. This usually helps with aircraft availability as well.
- Occasionally I may need to reschedule a session due to other obligations or logistics. In these situations I try to give as much notice as possible, but sometimes advance notice is limited.
Cancellation and Notification Policy
If you need to cancel a given appointment please give me as much notice as possible via email, TXT, cell phone, or some combination thereof. No-show appointments and appointments canceled with less than 24 hours notice will be billed for the time as scheduled. Training typically takes place regardless of weather unless we explicitly agree otherwise (typically via TXT or phone just prior to the session). If the weather is not good enough to fly we will usually use the time to cover ground instruction or related paperwork.