The First Presbyterian Church of Bedford is a community of believers in Jesus Christ who seek to know God's will through worship, scripture, and prayer, and who feel called to share God's love through community and global ministry. We are committed to providing a caring, welcoming and inclusive environment to fulfill the mission of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
As professing Christians we aspire for our church to be a spiritual beacon for God's children, to glorify God's Name, seek to do God's will, and spread God's message. We are committed to sharing the love of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
What We Believe
"Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in the one triune God, the Holy One of Israel, whom alone we worship and serve."
God comes to us in free and undeserved favor in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. Following Jesus, Presbyterians are engaged in the world and in seeking thoughtful solutions to the challenges of our time.
Presbyterians affirm that God comes to us with grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ, who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might have eternal and abundant life in him. As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we seek to continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.
More than two million people call the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) their spiritual home. Worshiping in 10,000 Presbyterian congregations throughout the United States, they engage the communities in which they live and serve with God’s love.
The Presbyterian Church of Bedford, Indiana has the distinction of being the oldest congregation in Lawrence County. In the early 1800's, the Rev. Isaac Reed, a Presbyterian minister working with the American Home Mission Society, founded a number of Presbyterian churches in southern Indiana. From his base in New Albany, Mr. Reed started churches as far north as Greencastle and Franklin. In 1819, he founded a church in the town of Palestine, located on the northern bank of the White River, county seat of the newly formed Lawrence County. The congregation met in homes and in the courthouse. In 1825, the county seat was moved north to Bedford, and several years later, the Presbyterian church followed. On May 7,1831 it was instituted as the Bedford Presbyterian Church, with eighteen members.
Our church is a member of the Ohio Valley Presbytery and the Presbyterian Church in the USA. We conform to the mission of the presbytery which is to share the Light of Christ with the world. Our vision is to demonstrate what God intends for all humanity by living together in unity, forgiveness, and reconciliation.