How to Report Suicidal Messages or Self-Harm
Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for individuals ages 10-34 years old according to the CDC. We can all help fight those numbers by educating ourselves about the warning signs of suicide and knowing how to get help for someone who may be having suicidal feelings. There are many different risk factors that may cause a person to feel this way. Below are some warning signs that you should be aware of. It is not a complete list due to the fact each person is unique and may show different warning signs. If you witness any of the following or have a concern, please report it immediately! We know that you may witness some of these warning signs on the weekends, at night, or some other time when a school counselor may not available so we have provided instructions in the pages below for how to report something when you are not at school.
What to do if you hear or see something about a person wanting to harm themselves or if you have a concern based on any of the warning signs:
- If you are at school, tell a counselor right away! Do not wait to tell us. The sooner we can help the individual, the better.
- Report the concern through Anonymous Alerts. Remember to give us as many details as possible so we can act quickly.
- If it is at night, on a weekend, during summer, or anytime you are not at school you should call 911 to report it.
- You can also report self-harm and suicidal comments or photos on social media sites. See the pages below for specific instructions
WHEN IN DOUBT REPORT IT TO SOMEONE.
Suicide Warning Signs
If a person talks about:
- Being a burden to others
- Feeling trapped
- Experiencing unbearable pain
- Having no reason to live
- Killing themselves
Specific things to look out for include:
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online for materials or means
- Acting recklessly
- Withdrawing from activities
- Isolating from family and friends
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
- Giving away prized possessions
People who are considering suicide often display one or more of the following moods:
- Loss of interest