- Project Learning Tree began in 1976. Educators and personnel from the American Forest Institute and the Western Regional Environmental Education Council came together to develop an unbiased, educationally sound program for elementary and secondary students and their teachers. The first workshops were held in 13 states.
- In 1987, the first International PLT Coordinator's Conference was held. By the end of the 1980's, PLT was active in 49 states.
- By 1994, PLT was in all 50 states.
- In 2016, PLT celebrated it's 40th Anniversary. Now we have a grassroots network of 3,000 active volunteers and state coordinators who have trained more than 500,000 educators.
- Currently PLT is in Canada, the U.S. Territories, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, Slovakia, China, Finland, Brazil, Jordan, and the Philippines. Materials have been translated and adapted for use in these countries.
- Wyoming PLT has been active for many years. It now boasts diverse support and sponsorship from a variety of agencies, industries, and individuals.
- In 2017 PLT became an initiative of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
What Wyoming PLT Offers You
Wyoming Project Learning Tree provides encouragement and opportunities for teachers and students to explore and pursue information in an effort to form their own opinions. In other words, WYPLT helps teach students "How to Think, not What to Think."
Wyoming PLT provides balanced natural resource education in Wyoming.
Wyoming PLT promotes good stewardship of Wyoming’s natural resources by providing tools for educators to bring the environment into their classrooms and their students into the environment.
Wyoming PLT broadens knowledge and understanding of complex environmental issues by providing opportunities for
- Place-Based Learning
- Inquiry-Based Investigations
- Service Learning Projects
- Partnerships with Local Resource Professionals.
Wyoming PLT distributes the widely recognized and award winning Project Learning Tree curricula through low-cost workshops.
Wyoming PLT trains facilitators to provide workshops for educators throughout the State of Wyoming.
Wyoming PLT partners with other organizations who share our vision when appropriate and mutually advantageous.