For White Oak Christian Academy to be a successful support group, member involement is neccessary. The demands of homeschooling are great, but many hands make light work and less for everyone! Hosting an event would greatly benefit the group.
We suggest that potential members visit with the White Oak Chrisitian Academy group for an activity or classes before joining the group. This gives us an opportunity to get to know each other and ensure that membership of a new family is mutually beneficial.
- Informal Interview with the Director (by phone or in person)
- Complete Online Membership Application
- Pay Membership Fees
In Compliance with MD state law for notifying your county school system with your intent to home school (only applies to children six years and over)
A background check will be conducted on all adults seeking membership.
White Oak's director reserves the right to refuse membership on any grounds.
- Educating Guest Speakers
- Year Around Email Loops
- Group Field Trips
- Group Service Projects & Social
- Cooperative Classes
- Annual Back to School Picnic
- Annual IOWA Testing
- Annual Used Curriculum Sale
- Anuual High School Graduation
- Membership in MACHE (www.machemd.org)
- Discount to HSLDA (www.hslda.org)
To Meet the Differing Needs of the Homeschool Family, WOCA offers three forms of membership
(1) Cooperative Membership - Due to our extensive offering of rotating cooperative classes, this form of membership is our most common. Families, who register for this option, agree to actively teach one course each school year in our Monday co-op. To ensure their teaching commitments can be fulfilled, we require all co-op families to stay for at least two classes a day but most stay for the entire day for the social aspect. In exchange for their services, co-op families receive discounted class fees. Families are included on our exclusive cooponly email loop. They also have first choice on our field trips, WOCA events, homeschool activities and socials. A MACHE membership card is included which allows for free entrance into the Frederick Homeschool Fair as well as teacher discounts at various local stores.
(2) Drop Off Membership - To meet the growing needs of homeschool families in Frederick County, White Oak is now offering a drop off option for middle and high school families. Families, who register for this option, receive the benefit of dropping off their middle and high school students for our weekly cooperative classes without having to stay onsite or teach a class. Families are included in our exclusive cooponly email loop. They also have options to join our field trips, WOCA events, homeschool activities and socials. A MACHE membership card is included which allows for free entrance into the Frederick Homeschool Fair as well as teacher discounts at various local stores.
(3) Email Membership - Families, who desire to stay informed about upcoming WOCA events as well as other homeschool activities, sign up for this membership option. Families are included on our exclusive cooponly email loop. They also have options to join our field trips, WOCA events, homeschool activiites and socials. A MACHE membership card is included which allows for free entrance into the Frederick Homeschool Fair as well as teacher discounts at various local stores.
All White Oak Christian Academy families pay membership dues to cover expenses for managing the group. Membership begins on August 1st and expires on July 31st of the following year. Dues will be the same no matter what time of the year you join and are non-refunable. All dues directly benefit our group by covering associated cost for group events, service projects, field trips, and socials. Funds will also be used to cover copying, mailing, guest speaker gifts, church gifts, website maintenance and email loop support. Futhermore, a portion of all membership fees are set aside for general liability insurance required by our event locations as well as small incidental building repairs. Membership in the White Oak Christian Academy Homeschoolers also provides your family membership in Maryland Association of Christian Home Educators (www.machemd.org) where we receive FREE admissions into the Frederick Homeschool Fair, discount six flags tickets and more fieldtrips!! A discount rate for membership into Homeschool Legal Defense Association (www.HSLDA.org) is yet another perk you receive with your White Oak Christian Academy membership.
(1) Cooperative Membership - A membership fee of $75 a family per semester plus discounted class fees make up the expenses for this type of membership. Discounted class fees run from $2 to $50 per class each semester with two semesters (Fall & Winter) offered each school year. After registering online, the $75 membership fee per family must be paid in full to confirm your registration as well as the liability waiver received. The remaining class fees may be made in three monthly installments of equal amounts by the 10th of each month but must be completed by the end of each regular semester.
(2) Drop Off Membership - A membership fee of $75 per student per semester plus class fees make up the expenses for this type of membership. Class fees for drop off students range in price from $25 to $100 per class each semester with two semesters (Fall & Winter) offered each school year. After registering online, the $75 membership fee per student must be paid in full to confirm student registrations as well as the liability waiver received. The remaining class fees for the semester must be paid in full by the first day of classes. Payment plans are not available for drop off students. NOTE: This option is only for Middle/High School aged children.
(3) Email Membership - A membership fee of $25 a family for the school year make up the only expense for this type of membership. Once payment is received along with an enclosed liability waive, your email address will be added to our email loop.
The White Oak Christian Academy maintains an email loop to serve our group. They are by membership only and are restricted from unapproved senders. The administrator manually adds your email address to the loop, so no extra work on your part is needed.
When sending a message to our group, please address emails to CoopOnly@WhiteOakChristianAcademy.com
To ensure viruses are not passed around the White Oak Christian Academy email loops and that our members do not feel harassed, the following restrictions apply when using the above loop:
(1) Please only send items relating to family or homeschool information which could include but is not limited to upcoming events and activities, as well as pertinent advice and articles.
(2) When sending an email, avoid sending attachments if possible. Reference a website address or copy-paste the information from the original source into your email. Please make sure to reference where the information originated.
(3) We recommend sending your email with the White Oak Christian Academy or Co-op as the only addresses. Many emails have been delayed from getting on the loop due to a large number of recipents. This is a built in protection feature to prevent spamming.
(4) The more we communicate about local homeschool events and activities/meetings, the more successful activities will be. Please don't hesitate to send that email and invite us all to join in. It may be just what one of our homeschool families has been looking for.